PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Polo - red seat light on dashboard permanently on

Silverbug
10-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Hello,
I browsed but couldn't spot a similar question, so joined to ask some advice
I noticed last night that my Polo has a red light on the dashboard which seems to show that the backseat is down. The backseat is up and I can't see any problems with it. The red light is on even when the keys are not in the ignition. it looks as though the red light is slightly flickery and it is not very bright. I took a picture but am not sure how to upload it.
In case it is related, we have been having a problem with the car starting. When you turn the key, the dashboard lights come on no problem, but the engine doesn't start when you turn the ignition fully. The trick it to have it on the lights only setting for about 30seconds then turn off and back on and it works.
We thought it might be the battery so bought a battery charger. The battery was charged (with a recondition function) on Saturday.
Any ideas about whether it's all related? It is just about due a service.
Thank you for any advice!

Rob69
10-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi, suggest you get the battery tested, it might be struggling to hold charge and low voltage can make the dash do strange things, even though the car still starts.

Silverbug
10-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Thank you very much. I thought the light had gone out, but it is definitely still flickering on and off irregularly. I'll arrange the service and mention the battery/dash light etc. is replacing it the only option or will a long drive help it (mostly used for short trips)?

Flash2
10-03-2015, 09:57 PM
It sounds like maybe the wire to the seat back switch is chafing to the body somewhere causing the light to flicker.

When you say your engine doesn't start, does it crank and not fire or is it not cranking over?

Jim.

niall campbell
10-03-2015, 10:11 PM
earth strap also

Rob69
11-03-2015, 07:01 AM
If the battery is on its way out a long drive wont do any good as it cant hold the charge and youve already charged it with the charger. If the car is mostly used for short trips that sort of use is tough on a battery, especially through winter. They are relatively cheap for a polo, get the garage to check it out to confirm.