PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and Confused

aks1989
01-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Well, what more can I say,
I WAS trying to figure out the easiest way to get my car plugged in to the VCDS Lite software, when it failed to run on my nice shiny windows 8.1.

I then tried to configure a partition to run XP, failed to get a good copy of it etc etc you see where I am going.

What do people do?

I have a 2003 passat 4motion with the scart style diagnostic port.
I have not yet brought a lead as I wanted to ensure I could run software first so all options are open.

I really don't have £200 to spend on diagnostic equipment, I could probably replace the entire airbag system for that so realistic "back yard budget"
OR a fix for my failings at doing things "properly" would be even better :)

Thanks in advance ;)

aks1989
02-03-2015, 11:35 AM
I love geeks.
My brother runs a computer support firm on the other side of the world (Hawaii)
just spoke to him, 5 minutes later VCDS Lite is working in Windows 8.1 I have no idea how he did it, but if anyone else wants some software help...
fiverr.com/friendlytech (http://fiverr.com/friendlytech)

His name is Jason and he knows what he's doing with computers however has never touched a car diagnostic ;

aks1989
04-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Starting to get a wee bit worried, been reading more and more about the diagnostic gear, basically if I'm understanding it right the ONLY way to be sure that what I buy will work properly, is to buy Ross Tech? Been looking for a second hand cable but none for less than £155.
I can rent one for £30 but I bet that it's under the condition that I come to the garage use it there etc etc grrr
Don't know what to do now...

Doctle Odd
04-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Well, what more can I say,
I WAS trying to figure out the easiest way to get my car plugged in to the VCDS Lite software, when it failed to run on my nice shiny windows 8.1.

I then tried to configure a partition to run XP, failed to get a good copy of it etc etc you see where I am going.

What do people do?

I have a 2003 passat 4motion with the scart style diagnostic port.
I have not yet brought a lead as I wanted to ensure I could run software first so all options are open.

I really don't have £200 to spend on diagnostic equipment, I could probably replace the entire airbag system for that so realistic "back yard budget"
OR a fix for my failings at doing things "properly" would be even better :)

Thanks in advance ;)

Download the latest version of VCDS lite it has windows 8 drivers. You can download virtual pc from Microsoft it's not dual boot tho, it has to be started after you boot into W8.1. RossTech say running VCDS in a virtual machine is "unsupported" so it may not work or may not work properly; http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-8/hyper-v-run-virtual-machines

Hex69
04-03-2015, 01:14 PM
For a B5.5 Passat, this is what you need;

www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

Then use this with VCDS Lite, once your happy you can then register with Ross Tech for ~$99, for full support.

aks1989
04-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Thank you Hex :D
And you Doctle too - although it turns out if you right click hit troubleshoot it'll offer to open in compatibility mode ;) no need for extra window's or partitions god Geeks are useful :D
I have ordered the above unit next day delivery for a total of £25 (give or take a few pennies) Bargain,
he assures me that it's all Kosher for use with VCDS Lite and if I wanted to then register it for the $99 it will be fine.
he did of course try the ultimate up-sell with the full version but even if I had of said yes, my card would not have liked it ;)
Hallejullah soon I will have this puppy plugged in, wipte the codes, take it for a drive come back plug in, service and diagnose :)
emailed ebay seller to inform them they have failed in their postal agreement etc etc, shouldn't offer next day delivery if it's not even in the next 2 days!!!!

Doctle Odd
04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Gendan are very reputable and their product will work.

aks1989
04-03-2015, 01:43 PM
thanks guy's
As I say I don't have a problem with the price, I'm more than happy to spend good money on a good product, but I can't justify the £270 for the full version with hardware haha
That is fantastic :)

Doctle Odd
04-03-2015, 02:05 PM
There's always guys looking for a scan. a score a pop.....

aks1989
04-03-2015, 02:11 PM
This is true, and to be fair a friend of mine who works on a lot of peoples cars said something similar (rather jealously) but I wouldn't feel too comfortable messing with anyone else's until I had got the hang of the software etc, maybe even done a few tutorials.
Definately something to think about, especially as the full version gets all the updates and will do brand new cars, just the cable that needs changing.. I keep on talking myself into this haha

Doctle Odd
04-03-2015, 06:34 PM
This is true, and to be fair a friend of mine who works on a lot of peoples cars said something similar (rather jealously) but I wouldn't feel too comfortable messing with anyone else's until I had got the hang of the software etc, maybe even done a few tutorials.
Definately something to think about, especially as the full version gets all the updates and will do brand new cars, just the cable that needs changing.. I keep on talking myself into this haha

Just do a complete scan and print or email it to the owner. Pretend you're an Audi technician they know bugger all about cars anyway.

aks1989
05-03-2015, 09:26 AM
haha yeah that's the thing, if I were to do it, I'd want to be more helpful than your average code checker.
Heck I've been looking at the mapping systems and getting tempted to get a couple of spare ecu's just in case I ruin one for a week and start learning how to map properly using live data, then I would have a business starter, just need a dyno to complete it ;)

Doctle Odd
05-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Luckily you can't change a map with VCDS! A spare ECU is of little practical use if you don't have the PIN for it. Software to extract the PIN is expensive. Changing maps requires something like WinOLS and a lot of training, it's very expensive software :)

http://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/software/

aks1989
05-03-2015, 10:45 AM
hehe this is funny, glad I mention things on here before I believe everything other people tell me ;)

Cavatio
05-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Luckily we have Google!

Cavatio
05-03-2015, 11:08 AM
I know that some people that offer remaps actually know nothing about remapping. They are agents and simply copy the map and email it to the company they work for. The company alters the file and sends it back for loading into the ECU. This isn't the correct method

aks1989
07-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I agree totally, I've known a few people to have a "cheap remap" and only end up having it dyno'd and done properly in due course.
Still something I am looking into I have some free time to attend some courses and lets be honest, I'd enjoy that alot more than recent jobs just need to invest in a dyno haha! ;)