PDA

View Full Version : Question Bloody audi

marcus gp1
18-02-2015, 08:39 PM
First hello to everyone, been saving up for the cost of a new fuel pump for my A4 B6 1.8 turbo S line 190, been getting a noise on start up from the fuel tank took it to the garage and they took the old pump out said it all looked good no crap in the fuel tank at all and the cars done nearly 160,000 now, but before that I changed the fuel filter and it was an original Audi part that came off the car and it was as clean as a whistle, but replaced it anyway, start with the cheep components 1st right , anyway the garage I use said that it looks like the fuel tank pump is at fault, So £411 later new pump fitted and GUESS what bugger the noise from the fuel tank on start up is still there, not a happy bunny, garage at a bit of a loss as to what it may be because the noise is only there for a couple of seconds on start up, I don't think I'm getting great mpg, around 30 I think used to be about 32 taking things at about 70 mph duel carriageway mainly, so asked the garage what it could be they seem to think may be something to do with fuel pump/line control relay, kink in fuel line as it seem the noise from the pump suggests that the injectors/ fuel line are not getting enough fuel pressure, and on top of this I still have this silly knocking noise coming from the O?s front engine bay, at different speeds not a loud noise just a kind of drone that lasts a second or two, Possibly charcoal evaporation control box making a noise? and also last November I had the pulley tensioner replaced as the fan belt was jumping around like crazy , I thought the Alternator pulley bearing had to be replaced at the same time but the mechanic said no that as my car was a late B6 1.8 turbo S line that it was not fitted with the one way alternator pulley could someone confirm this for me please , or do you think the droning noise from the front of the car is the Altinaitor pulley?, getting a bit P off throwing money at this one , any help gratefuly received

mikeybutch
18-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Sure it isn't just the pump priming itself?Uther noise could be a dry/worn bearing in the belt tensioner

marcus gp1
18-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your input new tensioner fitted last November, the fuel pump makes the noise when on the starter?

Doctle Odd
18-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Who diagnosed the fuel lift pump?

sergeq7
18-02-2015, 09:09 PM
hello Guys!
just as matter a checking.
I am having issue with the EGR on audi Q7.
can anyone point me where that stupid part is on the engine?
you guidance will be very helpful
thanks Eric

Doctle Odd
18-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Inlet/Exhaust manifold

Doctle Odd
18-02-2015, 09:13 PM
hello Guys!
just as matter a checking.
I am having issue with the EGR on audi Q7.
can anyone point me where that stupid part is on the engine?
you guidance will be very helpful
thanks Eric

It's below the defubbery just to the left of the shiny thingamyjig.

sergeq7
18-02-2015, 09:35 PM
to get to it do i have to take the exhaust inlet manifold out first?
Eric

Doctle Odd
18-02-2015, 09:38 PM
It's attached to them but if you don't know what it looks like or where it is you're going to have problems taking it off.

sergeq7
18-02-2015, 09:42 PM
do you have any idea how difficult is the job?
Eric

Doctle Odd
18-02-2015, 09:57 PM
do you have any idea how difficult is the job?
Eric

what engine

zollaf
18-02-2015, 10:04 PM
big one

Doctle Odd
18-02-2015, 10:08 PM
big one

An hour I reckon?

marcus gp1
03-03-2015, 09:36 PM
OK here we go again, had a new fuel pump fitted two weeks ago, garage that fitted it asked me to listen to car starting up still has the fuel pump noise while the car is cranking on the starter, total bummer £420 for nowt, they said I would have to look for kinks in the fuel lines faulty fuel pressure switch ect as sounds like car not getting proper fuel pressure on start up, noise from fuel tank for 2\3 seconds only on start up. So into Dundee Audi John Clark for system check they had the car for two days fuel system operates at the proper 4 bar, confirmed new pump fitted, fuel tank clean no kinks in the fuel lines fuel filter new, , so they are stumped and would not take any payment as they could not find any fault, great service from John Clark Audi in Dundee and thanks for trying but totally stumped now as to how to fix this problem car drives great, just this stupid noise from the tank on start up for 2\3 seconds spoiling the car for me now, anyone have any ideas? STUMPED Audi never came across this problem before either

rhencullen1989
04-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Not sure why your fuel pump was over £400, mine went a couple of years ago and the price of the pump was around £180 and I had to pay to have it fitted as we were on holiday in the car, I think 3 hrs labour, total was £300.

yes the alternator does have a one way clutch as I replaced mine last year, genuine Audi was £ 70 and you need special tool to remove and fit it, I removed alternator for ease. As for your noise, is it actually causing any issues, you seem to be chucking a lot of money at it just to get rid of a noise, if something is wrong it will break sooner or later!!

marcus gp1
04-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your reply £245 for the fuel pump from europarts And the garage charged 2 hrs for diagnosing and fitting add on vat at 20% , as for the noise really get on my nerves new pump filters Audi diagnostic check still no luck, some of the American Audi owners say they are having some results fitting a genuine Audi fuel filter? And some one mentioned that there are two clear pipes in the fuel tank that run from the nearside to the offside to the pump, apparently these plastic pipes and some kind of plastic valve in them ? That if faulty can make this noise! I don't know but I thought An Audi dealer would know about this, yes I can just run the car with the noise but don't want to blow a new fuel pump to be left with another large bill.

rhencullen1989
05-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I replaced my pump with a genuine audi one as i was told there were no aftermarket ones available.

I have also replaced my fuel filter with a genuine one, its very big on the quattro 1.8T, i believe its different to the front wheel drive cars,

Have you got the correct one fitted? perhaps there is an anti syphon valve built into it that stops fuel syphoning back into the tank?

Have you tried with a full tank of fuel and see if the noise is still there?

Good luck sorting this out............

marcus gp1
10-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Another update, last Thursday when to start the car dead, spinning over not catching at all. Phone the RAC, guy finds that the connector on top of the fuel pump was not staying on the fuel pump as it would not click into place, Audi Dundee never spotted it or the garage that fitted the pump, not happy took car back to garage that fitted aftermarket VDO fuel pump from Eurocarparts, got the old one refitted refund of £340, £71 out of pocket for the labour, so going to run the car for six months and its gone, had enough of this one, TDI quattro for me next I hope, and thank for all the replays to this problem.