PDA

View Full Version : Juddering on tick over TDI 1.9

richwig83
28-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Just as the title says really. Every 5 or 10 seconds while ticking over, it judders!!

Anyone else experience this???

jawadh007
16-10-2007, 12:03 PM
yeah i get this but have no idea whats causing it... i guess a service would rule out bad plugs and any "contamination" in the oil...

richwig83
16-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Well i guess that my tdi doesnt have any plugs. I recon ill be due a service b4 xmas so ill have to see if they pick anything up on that (1st service was 17000, on 30500 now) Its still under warranty till march so i hope to get it resolved before then.

Its really buggin me esp. at traffic lights!!!

Just a question about yours, does it happen all the time or is it worse when its hot or cold?

Thx 4 the reply

descb600f
29-10-2007, 10:10 PM
It sounds like an idling problem, you may have a problem with the idle speed sensor.
They should be able to pick that up at the dealer I would have thought.
Do you see the revs drop when it happens??
Ta des

Davieboy
18-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Just as the title says really. Every 5 or 10 seconds while ticking over, it judders!!

Anyone else experience this???

hi,
i have a mk 5 gt tdi that had the same problem.
i disconnected the vaccum pipe from the EGR and blocked off the pipe.
it has cured the fault., but the emissions light is on now as the lambda sensor is getting to much exhaust gases. i guess that the EGR is needing cleaned, or maybe replaced. i have not removed it yet to look.
worht a try on your 1.9

davie

TDiBoraSam
18-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I had the exact same thing happen on my Bora TDI. Every 5 seconds or so it would judder at idle for a couple of seconds, then go back to normal...constantly repeating the cycle.

Problem was cured by replacing the clutch and flywheel. Sounds almost certainly like you have the same problem.

When the car is idling, try sitting with the clutch pedal pressed down and see if the juddering goes away or lessens. Also, with the clutch not pressed down, apply a little bit of pressure to the accelerator pedal to raise the revs slightly, this will probably stop the juddering too. Similarly, switching the aircon on, or Climate Control to Auto will stop the juddering.
Will be interesting to see if it's the same problem.

RichieG
19-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I didn't think TDIs had a lambda sensor?

richwig83
20-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I had the exact same thing happen on my Bora TDI. Every 5 seconds or so it would judder at idle for a couple of seconds, then go back to normal...constantly repeating the cycle.

Problem was cured by replacing the clutch and flywheel. Sounds almost certainly like you have the same problem.

When the car is idling, try sitting with the clutch pedal pressed down and see if the juddering goes away or lessens. Also, with the clutch not pressed down, apply a little bit of pressure to the accelerator pedal to raise the revs slightly, this will probably stop the juddering too. Similarly, switching the aircon on, or Climate Control to Auto will stop the juddering.

Will try that!!! thanks

Crasher
20-12-2007, 11:45 PM
The dreaded dual mass idle shudder.

TDiBoraSam
21-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, give it a try, it'll be very interesting to see if the prob is the same! They cured my judder, however it was only temporary because the dealer only replaced the flywheel and not the clutch, so the prob came back as the broken clutch gradually ruined the new flywheel.

Nicks
22-12-2007, 09:47 AM

why would the climate control effect the clutch and flywheel? sorry I is a newbie!:D

GT140
23-12-2007, 02:27 PM
why would the climate control effect the clutch and flywheel? sorry I is a newbie!:D

It's the extra load of the climate control slightly picking the revs up.

Pauloz
26-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, give it a try, it'll be very interesting to see if the prob is the same! They cured my judder, however it was only temporary because the dealer only replaced the flywheel and not the clutch, so the prob came back as the broken clutch gradually ruined the new flywheel.
Bunch of muppets just trying to get the job done as cheap as possible first time around - when the scenario you describe was by far the most likely outcome!
Agree that it sounds like the DMF for sure. Could be a sachs unit on 1.9 as opposed to most of them which are luk.

alibaly
23-02-2008, 12:20 PM
My Golf Plus feb06 1.9tdi (105) has always had a somewhat similar thing but only when engine has not warmed up, the tickover goes rough every so often and if I press the clutch it goes away. I told the VW garage when I had my first and only service and they said everything was ok, I just accepted this and put it down to just a quirk with the car. Would this show up on a readout at the garage and should I take them up on it? The problem hasn't got any worse miles now 25000

richwig83
23-02-2008, 12:30 PM
My Golf Plus feb06 1.9tdi (105) has always had a somewhat similar thing but only when engine has not warmed up, the tickover goes rough every so often and if I press the clutch it goes away. I told the VW garage when I had my first and only service and they said everything was ok, I just accepted this and put it down to just a quirk with the car. Would this show up on a readout at the garage and should I take them up on it? The problem hasn't got any worse miles now 25000

I think mine might be cured now! Had a new gearbox fitted about 10 days ago due to a grinding sound which was traced to being iron filings!!! Seems to have stopped or at least reduced the juddering!