PDA

View Full Version : Broken Flip Key Mechanism

jonreynolds
28-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi all,

Just bought a 1998 A4 1.9 TDI.

It came with a flip key remote and the spare plastic key.

The remote is the two button type and is a bit broken. It all functions fine, the buttons lock and unlock the doors and the key starts the engine, but the 'flip' mech is all busted and the previous owner has glued it (badly) permenantly open.

I was wondering whether I could just get any old secondhand remote and swap all the bits frommine over - i.e. key blade, transponder and remote (if necessary) into the working body.

If this is possible, is it feasable to get a 3 button remote as these seem to be more available than the two button ones...i understand I won't be able to use the boot button.

Cheers in advance!

Jon

nickynibbles
28-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Yes you can get a spare key & swap over all your bits, you'll just need the central locking coded to your car which a registered version of vagcom will do. As for the 3-button fob working, this would depend on it having the same transmitter frequency range as your existing key fob type. Suggest a call to an Audi dealer's parts desk & ask them about your key fob type & whether there is a difference in transmitter frequency ranges.

jonreynolds
29-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi Thanks for the reply.

Not quite with you tho...why would I need to get any codes or anything if I am swapping all the electrics from the old one over into a new body? Everything will be the same won't it, just in a new case?

Cheers.

Jon

ini
29-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Just buy a new key half of the remote (or cheapest remote on ebay), and transplant in your blade & transponder capsule from the existing key half.

Some of the 3 button remotes will work with your car, but there is no definitive list. Best to stick with the correct 2 button.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/TransponderLocation.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/inisj/TransponderCapsule.jpg

jonreynolds
01-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Hmm yet again I am confused...its the f;ip key bit thats knackered... either way...I need to find a two button remote...

any one got one for sale??

Cheers

ini
01-10-2007, 08:27 PM
The ignition transponder capsule (small glass pill on older Audi's, containing microelectronics) is in the key half of the remote.

The button part houses the 'keyless entry' remote circuit board & battery.

You can buy any 2 or 3 button key with damaged buttons for £1 on ebay and just keep the flipkey part.

onzarob
01-10-2007, 08:37 PM
The ignition transponder capsule (small glass pill on older Audi's, containing microelectronics) is in the key half of the remote.

The button part houses the 'keyless entry' remote circuit board & battery.

You can buy any 2 or 3 button key with damaged buttons for £1 on ebay and just keep the flip key part.

As Ini has said, it best to imagine the key as 2 halves, the button part it for remote central locking. the flip key part, is the immobiliser unlock and the ignition key.

If you change the whole front half you will need it cut and get it matched to the immobiliser.

Hope thats clearer

jonreynolds
02-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Cheers, got one coming off ebay...shall see how it goes.

jonreynolds
06-12-2007, 03:37 PM
out of interest, I did as I thought I could. I stripped out the key and transmitter from my broken fob and put them into the new replacement unbroken fob, reprogrammed the plip and all works!