PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit: VAG Bluetooth module in 08 Touran with RNS510

VAG-Abound
09-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I thought I'd share a few words on how fitting a VAG Bluetooth module into our Touran, including a few things I learned along the way that may save others time and aggravation...

Car is 08 plate UK spec Touran with red highline display and factory fitted RNS510 radio (which started this story with firmware version1200), but no media extras. I spend far too long trying to understand which BT modules would or wouldn't work at all or partially / fully with this combination, and in the end made almost no progress as there seem to be a lot of combinations, experiences and views. Since I fancied having music streaming and track control which is apparently only a feature of the recent modules I found something pretty new (a 7P6035730J, which I think means it came from a Tourag) and got it, plus a connection loom, mic and mic cable. Good kit overall. As described below seems to be well thought out, with right size fully assembled looms. Only risk I see is that although the Quadlock M-F piggy back / breakout extension worked well for me it may be hard to use if additional equipment such as an MMI is plugged in using similar - just too many bulky connectors for the space.

First thing that threw me a bit was that the supplied BT-to-RNS510 loom had two sockets for connecting the microphone. One went up the loom to the headunit, and the other went down to the BT unit. A bit of dismantling, peering and looking at RNS510 pins explained why. The socket that goes to the radio feeds into the RNS510 MIC IN pins, and the MIC OUT pins come back to the BT unit and join to the wires from the other mic socket. So if you have a radio like the RNS510 you can loop the signal around to allow the RNS to get sounds for voice control, etc. But if you have something without the pins or ability to use them (such as the RCD300 that we have in our older Touran) you plug it straight into the BT socket just for phone use. Simples :p!

One I had that figured out I popped the headunit out and everything together, turned the ignition to ACC, and watched for the 'VW PHONE' item to appear on my phones BT search for pairing, which it did with no PIN. Worked straight away. I was able to make and receive calls, and stream music by starting it playing on the phone. But no control of the music from the headunit :confused:. So unplugged it all for proper install...

Mic was pretty easy. ease down the front of the plastic 'lens' on the overhead light as if changing a bulb. Two Torx screws behind that allow the bulb module to be dropped. There is a block of foam filling the mic spot, and once it's out the mic snaps into place easily. By pushing a hand into the open bit of the headliner, reaching towards the rear view mirror and pressing down a gap can be opened up to feed the mic extension cable back towards the light unit, and once it is eased through and joined there is another snap-lock to hold the connector in the light unit. Then pop the light back in, screws in, lens back on. Feed the mic cable around the edge of the headliner and it can be easily tucked in. Similarly down the A-pillar, using the various joins to change direction until it reaches the footwell. Then behind the plastic 'skirting' to the seat.

Next was the main loom. After a bit of experimenting with space and arrangements I ended up wedging the joined Quadlocks behind the space where the radio sits, so just the extension loom was 'loose' to (almost) reach out of the fascia to fit the radio - it was a bit fiddly to fit in the end but doable, and using a little 'mouse hole' at the top right of the rear of the radio space to bring the BT loom forwards so that it could go down the side of the radio and behind the plastic trim that lines the space from the centre console into the footwell. Then tucked up that trim towards the seat.

This meant that the mic cable comes form the door sill side of the seat, and the BT loom from the gearstick side. They are a good length to reach here and have a bit of slack so guess that is what they are designed for. I did try finding somewhere behind the dash for storing the BT unit, but nothing to be found :Blush2:. For now I've tucked the BT module with plugged in cables into the lower of the under seat drawers that the Tourans have, but one day I may take those drawers out to see if I can get it into the cutout in the floor lining under the driver's seat that I know our old Touran has - not sure if the newer one still has it.

Fired it up again and pleased to see it worked. As expected no communication with the MFD because the BT module is too modern and needs a white one to work. But that doesn't seem to be a problem as pairing can be done when the car is turned on, and the RNS510 offers control of the BT that you'd otherwise use the MFSW buttons for.

Finally I did a bit of VCDS-ing and other tweaks. I can't recall everything that I changed (I have before and after auto-scans to look if I need to :Blush:), but things I can recall...

Bumping the RNS510 to a firmware 2760 version
Toggling a couple of 'voice control' bits that I found in the radio and BT modules
Changing a similar bit on the MFSW so that the STAR button triggers RNS510 voice control
Fixing an 'open circuit' error on the BT by telling it there was no '3 button control panel'

All in all quite a nice little upgrade. Voice control of media source (CD, HDD, BT) and track selection (on CD, HDD) is nice, as is being able to do voice dialling request (works fine for speed dials, but doesn't seem to understand the way I say names :aargh4:). Plus picking up incoming calls of course.

Hope that helps someone. I'll try and answer any questions.

Hanny
17-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Looks like your worked it out well, just for info I have fitted an RNS510(H) with a Skoda BT - into the misses 57 Touran Sport - (originally was fitted to my R32), the advantage of the Skoda BT is that I have got full MFSW control with full phone function/info displayed on the my highline display as well as the normal RNS interface. For now I have fitted it into the underseat draws but will fit it within in the dash as some point. Just make sure that the BT cant slide around and the antenna is very fragile.