PDA

View Full Version : Question Electric boot lid problem

JohnF
07-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Has anyone got any thoughts about a lid which opens, then stalls a few inches open, then opens fully? It will close to almost down, then has to be helped to close.

I have seen on u-tube a suggestion to 'refriction' the clutch plate with solder flux paste or rosin, and also a suggestion to replace a G suffix motor with the more powerful H suffix motor. I'd be very grateful for any other ideas - it's a '55 A8 W12.

Micha_elD
14-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Start by lubricating the hinges, that usually fixes problems with a slow or sticking motor.

Use white grease aerosol, or decent lube, not WD40, that isn't a lubricant

JohnF
08-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks MichaelD - sorry so long to acknowledge your help, I have been away. Unfortunately lubricating the hinges made no difference, and the local Audi garage quotes over £600 for a new motor. Anyone know any breakers likely to have A8s in the yard?! I wonder who supplied Audi with these motors. The only other niggle is a rusty broken spring in the guttering of the (British) Webasto solar sun roof mechanism. Ho hum.

Micha_elD
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Get the part number for the broken motor, then go into ebay, and search. Set the criteria to whole of europe, and you'll find some German breakers that break down decent, roadworthy cars, to make a profit from the bits. Generally, parts are in good condition, the dealers seem straight, its a very useful business.

If you can't find the right part, translate A8 boot motor into German using Google translate, and search on that.

Should get you something for much less than £600

Good luck

kite
08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
A8 PARTS - Audi breakers of used and reconditioned Audi A8 car parts and accessories (http://www.a8parts.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAiAg_CnBRDc1N_wuoCiwyESJABpBuMXtJXpcUH jPKJwgCutycYv_qXt8OqJ1Z5OReFr2oBZ0RoCLmDw_wcB)

A6forever
16-03-2015, 07:21 PM
I had problems with my boot not opening fully. It would lift an inch or two then shut back down again. My solution was simple and cheap, see the following tread which highlights it in more detail>> Auto Boot Issue (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?156467-Auto-Boot-Issue&p=900078#post900078)