PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new S3 Sportsback... Need some help

Munkfish
02-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Afternoon all,

I'm a new user here, but have used the forum for a couple of years (I know, bad form)! Currently have a MY14 Audi A6 SE 2.0 TDI Avant, base spec (was the time when they couldn't get rid of them for love nor money). I really like the car, but have found it lacking in a few key areas for me - speed and 4WD. I don't have a family, and won't be expecting that in the life of my next car, so I can cope with a smaller size boot (living in central London I parking can be a major issue)! My milage has also dropped to c5k per annum from 10k. I do a few small journeys, and the occasional 200m+ run, so needs to be a decent cruiser. Fuel running costs not too important (within reason), but insurance is a consideration.

So this led me to consider a change (for something much quicker and 4WD). Originally I wanted to go for the S6 Avant / 3.0 BiTDI, but it is just a bit too much out of budget (I would like to keep around the £40k / 50k mark, but can move a bit up if really worth it). I think given the milage I will be doing, petrol makes more sense over diesel. Therefore, I though the S3 might make more sense (I like the understated look, and I don't think an RS3 would be for me).

My concern would be the drop in cabin quality / feel compared to the A6 - has anyone made the transition in real life? I'm going to test drive at the weekend, but wanted to get some initial thoughts. In terms of specification, I was thinking the following:

Exterior Daytona grey, pearl effect

Interior Material: Fine Nappa leather with S3 embossing on the front seats

Aluminium roof rails
Audi Parking System Plus with park assist
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with light and rain sensor package
Bang & Olufsen sound system
Door mirrors – electrically adjustable, folding and heated
Driver assistance package
Electrically-adjustable front seats
Electrically adjustable lumbar support
Hold assist
Interior lighting package
LED headlights
Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect

Is there anything else I should consider / remove? It hits the budget spot on at £40k (pre-discount). Alternatively, are there any other cars around this price (not necessarily Audi) which I should consider? I know the VW Golf R is one, but the Audi brand holds value for me (although I will test drive the VW to be sure). I would prefer to stick to the more luxury brands.

Many thanks,

Tim

green A8
03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
We had the use of a Misano red S3 saloon for a few hours whilst Audi serviced the wifes A7. Not the sportback I know but I'm pretty sure that would be very similar to it's booted sister car. The S3 was a nice little car in all respects, the biggest compliment I can give the car is that it feels like a scaled down A8. It has a very nice cabin, not a million miles away from the quality levels of the A8 flagship. The auto park feature is a hoot, you get some stange looks from folk as the system performs it's magic and you take your hands off the steering wheel! One chap tried to give me a ticking off for steering the car with my legs? When I explained and showed him how the cars system worked he went somewhat red faced, muttered something about the Germans, and stomped off to his trusty and rusty Vauxhall Astra!

As for your proposed spec, I think you've pretty much nailed it. Hope you get to enjoy your car, the only problem with Audi is that sometimes the lead times can 'stretch' But then, that is true of most cars that are in demand.

The next A3 I'll be trying will be the e-tron. Audi have promised to let us know when it's available. Sometime next month I think.

Munkfish
03-02-2015, 10:38 AM
green A8,

Many thanks - very helpful. Very positive to hear that it felt like a smaller A8 (I really liked the cabin in the one I drove a little while back). Although I enjoy the road presence the A6 brings (and I still haven't discounted an A6/A7 - especially given the deals at the moment), I think I will enjoy the slightly compact feel again. My pather has a VW Polo, and I do really enjoy the "chuckability" of it around town (much to her annoyance).

Glad you like the auto-park - it's seems a little excessive in a car this small, but I think for novelty factor its worth the small premium!

Yes, that is a bit of a concern - I had an A1 on order when they first came out, and after being push back 3 times (and nearly 9 months late) cancelled it. Hopefully this will get a bit more priority given the price / spec etc.

Tim

Kar Krazy
03-02-2015, 01:04 PM
The S3 quattro sportback with the kit you've listed is a good choice.

My A3 sportback has lovely interior quality and the 197 PS engine is a hoot, but it suffers from lack of quattro trying to get it moving if I floor it in 1st or 2nd (especially on damp roads) - and that's on Goodyear Asymmetric 2's as well.

I've downsized from a Mk3 Mondeo which had a massive boot, but the A3 still swallows everything my daughter wants shifting when she moves flat.

SimoFlyer
05-02-2015, 09:52 PM
I was offered a company car last year and went for the A3 1600 sline 5 door but originally had a private 3 series bmw touring. Although not really the same size as your A6 I still found the difference quite significant and to be fair after nearly a year of ownership I do miss the comfort of the bmw. The A3 is smaller and hence the seat/sitting position is very different, I found I sat back more and the door controls were more ergonomically friendly on the Bmw. Don't assume style means comfort.

Munkfish
06-02-2015, 10:20 AM
SimoFlyer / Kar Krazy,

Many thanks - very helpful. BMWs have never quite appealed as much to me as Audi's unfortunately, but I might give one a test drive just to see. Really looking forward to test driving it this weekend - only sure way to find out! I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Tim

Munkfish
11-02-2015, 10:46 AM
As promised, here is my update. Took the dealer car (S3 3-door hatchback) for the weekend. Absolutely incredible car. Did about 200 miles - mix of country road, motorway and in town. The acceleration is very impressive, but so was the low speed town driving which was incredibly easy to do. Got back into the A6, and really missed the power (although I must admit, the interior in the A6 is still considerably more luxurious). I have a feeling an S6 will be my car of choice next time around...

I decided to change the spec a little bit - I got rid of the active cruise control (it was fun, but I never really could trust it, and took away from the driving experience), and put in the comfort pack in. Decided not to get the B&O system, but the upgraded Audi one (the demo car was the basic one which sounded acceptable to me). No electric seats either.

Deposit down, hopefully will arrive in April.