PDA

View Full Version : Coolant drain plug location 1.9tdi AVB

Sp00ks
27-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi,

I just bought an audi a4 1.9tdi AVB and would like to flush out the coolant as it looks clear and I don't know the history of it. However I cannot for the life of me find where to drain the coolant from. Could somebody please point me in the right direction. Pictures would be best.

Doctle Odd
27-01-2015, 09:07 PM
it's on the bottom left of the radiator as viewed from the drivers seat. Take a pipe off the oil cooler and drain the block completely

Sp00ks
28-01-2015, 06:08 AM

Is this the right place? Because I did try and unscrew that little tap, it turned about half a turn but nothing happened.

Doctle Odd
28-01-2015, 09:37 AM

Is this the right place? Because I did try and unscrew that little tap, it turned about half a turn but nothing happened.

Turn and pull towards rear of car :)

Sp00ks
28-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your help unfortunately I had no luck, access is really tight as I have no ramps, I was using a curb for access. Like I said the tap turns half a turn but nothing happens, I tried pulling it out using pliers after making the half turn but no luck. Will try and book it into a garage for a coolant flush asap. Just trying to create a baseline for service/maintenance. Did the oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and fuel filter so far. Also changed the thermostat as the car wasn't reaching temperature, it is now and sits at 90. :)

Ok I have just done some more research, and I have found this:

Open this drain ****, it will twist to the left 90 degrees then pull out a little, then twist again 90 degrees then pull out more. *Note, it does NOT pull out all the way! This will open the valve and the coolant will begin to drain on the side of the valve.

Doctle Odd
28-01-2015, 07:37 PM
its easier from the top, you did all the other jibs this one is easier than you think