PDA

View Full Version : Safe remap level for 1.6 TDI?

TDiBoraSam
24-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a 2012 Golf 1.6TDI Bluemotion 105hp.

I am toying with the idea of a remap, but struggling to come up with any real evidence of what the safe remap level is for this engine (if indeed it's safe to remap at all).

Does the 1.6 share the same clutch and turbo components as any of the higher output 2.0 engines? Is the new 1.6 120hp the same engine and running gear as the 105?

Just trying to find some evidence that the clutch, turbo and driveshafts are capable of handling some extra power before taking the plunge!

The remapping guys all say that anything from 130 to 145hp is perfectly fine, but how did they arrive at these figyres?! On some forums people say that the turbo really can't cope with a remap, nor can the clutch, and a remap is courting disaster. I'm not looking to drive the car around like a nutter, but I just find it rather slow and sluggish in its standard state.

Any advice or stories from experience of a 1.6 TDI would be greatly appreciated.

Guest 2
24-01-2015, 03:15 PM
I know REVO extensively test their cars before releasing the software to the public so you should be fine with any big name company, just stay away from the lesser known, back street jobs.

Make sure your car is fine mechanically, ie you don't have any egr cooler issues/dpf etc.

Don't believe all you read on forums, if the software has been tested before release and you stick with a known company you will have comeback (should!) anything go wrong.

zollaf
24-01-2015, 04:24 PM
any engine is safe as sold to the public, with a margin of at least 30 0 50 ish %. they never run to their limit because too many would go bang and cost loads in warranty claims, unless they are french of course, made by psa. they run too close to their limit for cheapnastiness. vw are more sensible. so yes, a remap to 130 ish would be safe. closer to the limit yes, but still safe enough.

TDiBoraSam
25-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas. I will have a look at Revo. The bluefin product looks ok too.

DarrellGB
22-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Hi,
These engines are capable of a lot more than people think, in Europe they have been tuned (inc turbo upgrades) to 180bhp. Ive developed my own to 207bhp and 463Nm with no issues.

You can safely map to 145bhp with no other supporting mods, id always opt for custom maps but rejected tuners such as Superchips offer a 145bhp map for the 1.6tdi.

TDiBoraSam
15-04-2015, 11:31 AM
This is all very interesting stuff.

I still can't decide what to do. On paper there are some very compelling reasons to have a remap, but there are lots of people on other forums saying that the turbo on the 1.6 won't take extra stress of a remap, and it is a generally weakish engine built for economy.

Also, despite the impressive claims of many remapping companies, I still find it hard to believe that a typical tuning company with a unit or two on an industrial estate, a couple of decent laptops and a rolling road can produce better ECU software than Volkswagen.

I'm still looking for that elusive concrete evidence that shows exactly what torque and bhp the various components such as clutch, DMF, turbo, gearbox, driveshafts are rated at?! If this is unknown, how do remapping companies determine what the safe remap limit is? None of them state any scientific proof of what the engine and its components will take, so it seems as though the 'safe' remap figures are just plucked out of the air?

Having said all that, the 1.6TDI in the new Passat is 120hp as standard. If I knew it shared the same components as my 105hp version, I would go for a remap to 125hp. I would also take comfort in knowing that maybe the 1.6 shares the same clutch and drivetrain components as the 2.0 engines - does anyone know if this is the case?

I just can't help feeling that if remapping companies really did test cars properly and really did know all the actual safe limits for the engine, the information would be readily available on their websites. IE: Clutch in the 1.6TDI is rated to xxx lb/ft, our remap takes it to yyy lb/ft which is within the operating limits stated by LUK or Sachs. Limits of the turbo are xxx bhp, and our remap goes to yyy bhp, which is within the limits stated by Garrett (or whoever makes them).

Remapping still remains a black art!

Andrei P.
04-02-2016, 12:03 AM

I still can't decide what to do. On paper there are some very compelling reasons to have a remap, but there are lots of people on other forums saying that the turbo on the 1.6 won't take extra stress of a remap, and it is a generally weakish engine built for economy.

Also, despite the impressive claims of many remapping companies, I still find it hard to believe that a typical tuning company with a unit or two on an industrial estate, a couple of decent laptops and a rolling road can produce better ECU software than Volkswagen.

I'm still looking for that elusive concrete evidence that shows exactly what torque and bhp the various components such as clutch, DMF, turbo, gearbox, driveshafts are rated at?! If this is unknown, how do remapping companies determine what the safe remap limit is? None of them state any scientific proof of what the engine and its components will take, so it seems as though the 'safe' remap figures are just plucked out of the air?

Having said all that, the 1.6TDI in the new Passat is 120hp as standard. If I knew it shared the same components as my 105hp version, I would go for a remap to 125hp. I would also take comfort in knowing that maybe the 1.6 shares the same clutch and drivetrain components as the 2.0 engines - does anyone know if this is the case?

I just can't help feeling that if remapping companies really did test cars properly and really did know all the actual safe limits for the engine, the information would be readily available on their websites. IE: Clutch in the 1.6TDI is rated to xxx lb/ft, our remap takes it to yyy lb/ft which is within the operating limits stated by LUK or Sachs. Limits of the turbo are xxx bhp, and our remap goes to yyy bhp, which is within the limits stated by Garrett (or whoever makes them).

Hey,
I bought an Octavia with the same engine and was also thinking of a remap but, as you said, I also could not find any information about how safe it is or if the stock 120hp from passat shares the same components. Have you had any luck in finding any information?
Thanks

Gazwould
04-02-2016, 09:17 AM
It is an art .

They can do a better job because they spend longer in one area of development than VW , just like Eibach springs will improve both handling and ride quality on most cars.

And a better designed aftermarket exhaust system will release more torque and power...

Because they took the time to develop .

http://www.upsolute.com/en/chiptuning/db/car/4175/volkswagen/golf-7/vw-golf-7-tdi-16-cr-105

kicky1
25-09-2018, 09:17 PM
I believe the 1.6tdi is limited by the injectors and turbo 160bhp is about the limit before turbo etc need to be changed.
The injectors are on the limit about 180bhp with a hybrid turbo and exhaust.

Renars
27-09-2018, 06:26 AM

Nothing is shared from 2.0 tdi.
If you remap - clutch, flywheel all other main components will take more beating, BUT it will do it only when you really put your foot down and it produces that power, at normal driving most of the time it will do no harm. There is no any reason to remap for less than 145 hp as most tuners provide on stock parts, as they more or less copy one good tune.
But if you so worried, probably, stay away from remap.

TheDane
07-05-2020, 03:24 AM
I know its an old thread but seems like the answer you were looking for havent been answered. So if you are still wondering here is some answers from me as mechanic.

The reason the maps can be easily programmed to make your engine more effecient and more powerfull have a couple of reasons.
- the manufacturer mass produce these vehicles and engine, they dont always know where they are going from the factory, so they give them a tune that is safe allround the globe, meaning weather altitude and so on want be a breaking factor for the engine (at high altitude you have less oxygen which makes it harder to hit high power figures) also air cleanlyness can wary a lot, its better in countries with less dence population and fewer cars etc)

- emissions, they need a software they just know will be within all standards around the globe, they dont want to have some cars needed to be pulled in on their own bill because it cant meet the standard in the US but it can in EU. Its easiest and cheapest for them just have one that fits all.

- warrenty, they are always looking to make the most money, meaning that they aim for as few callbacks, auctions and warrenty cases as possible, if they had put 150HP and 320NM in all the cars, they have made some thoughts about what will it cost us maybe it raises the chance of a warrenty case by 1 or 2%, but that for a manufacturer is gonna be a lot of money if that engine is in 10.000.000 or more sold cars globally.

- safety, with higher powered cars comes bigger safety requirements, better brakes suspension chasisstructure airbags and so on, easiest is again making one powerplant and drivetrain that doesnt need modifications to be accepted in one country but not in another. It costs money.

There is probably more reasons but those are some of the common once. You can without problems get around 150HP and 310-320NM of torque on a 1,6TDI engine, Ive seen a lot with those figures here in Denmark no problems. Engines are build over engineered by a good amount (as long as its not a PSA engine) and almost any VW and Audi engine can handle around 30-40% more power without any loss in wear on parts.

Also, with a good tuner they know the signs on an engine being pushed to hard. They look for a lot for things, inlet temp, exhaust gas temp, duty cicles, knocking, a/f ratio, charge pressure drop, engine temps, airflow and so on. An engine reaching its limits or components reaching its limits will give signs of it. So a choose a good tuner with good experience and that takes the time to make a good tune that is teste on a dyno. Pay a little extra to get someone with knowledge and not a garage tuner that havent got the means to test the things changed and doesnt have the time to raise the powerfigures in small increments.

as400
11-05-2022, 09:27 PM
Just had my 1.6tdi (CAYC so 105bhp) remapped at my home by Quantum Tuning, now proudly sporting 145bhp and car is so much more responsive and eager...£249 well worth it.

Gazwould
11-05-2022, 09:46 PM
Just had my 1.6tdi (CAYC so 105bhp) remapped at my home by Quantum Tuning, now proudly sporting 145bhp and car is so much more responsive and eager...£249 well worth it.

What torque now and what does your 1.6tdi do to the gallon ?

Pio14343
06-06-2022, 01:46 AM
What torque now and what does your 1.6tdi do to the gallon ?

Personally had a remap done with 'top speed remapping' and claimed 160hp/ 340nm torque. It really does feel like it.
I did this on a 127k mile engine but also replaced cambelt..and planning on upgrading intercooler. so far so good. It would still be interesting to see how much each part can really handle.
Mpg before remap on motorways avg 45.. after remap 50,

Marno
28-12-2022, 12:21 PM
Sup man, know it has been a few years. How has the Remap treated you in the long run?