PDA

View Full Version : B8 Air Filter Query

theskyfox
14-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted an opinion really...my b8 3.0TDi is due in for service again in march/april time. Its due oil, oil filter, fuel filter and MOT. On paper, it isn't due an air filter replacement (as officially only this needs changing every 20,000 miles). However, last time the air filter was changed I noticed a big difference in car performance. I am starting to think that the 20,000 recommendation is far too long and am tempted to just change it every year. Does anyone else do this? I realise it will set me back a few more quid, but at the same time I remember changing the filter myself on my 1.9TDi and it was always disguistingly black each year. I get the niggling feeling that the additional cost will be offset by performance happiness and possibly slightly improved MPG.

Forgot to add...I'm currently doing about 10k miles a year, mixture of around town and on the motorway at least once a week.

-Andrew

apache24uk
14-01-2015, 01:01 PM
If it's not due but you still want it changed, don't get Audi to do it. Buy the part and do it yourself, it will be cheaper :)

theskyfox
14-01-2015, 02:14 PM
If it's not due but you still want it changed, don't get Audi to do it. Buy the part and do it yourself, it will be cheaper :)

Good idea. Can anyone recommend somewhere good to get it online? Fleabay seems to be full of patent parts...oh and any good guides for doing it? I realise this one is cylindrical and has some sort of clip at the back. I'm a technically competent person, but want to make sure I know what goes where before pulling things apart...

-Andrew

b206
14-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Buy direct from Audi - I found they were the cheapest!
Just undo the torx screws and pull up - you can then unclip the filter. Straight forward job.

apache24uk
14-01-2015, 05:37 PM
or try euro car parts