PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!!

jacksticks
12-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Good evening all. I have just bought myself a 1995 Audi 80 TDI with just over 162,000 on the clock. I drove it home from Stoke to Manchester this evening with no problems and was a great drive!

However when I stopped at a shop for five minutes I restarted the car and it cut out. It then took a few tries to start.

Could someone point me in the right direction of the forum/section to post more on this and hopefully get some help?

Many thanks!

Doctle Odd
12-01-2015, 11:24 PM
Hello Dr Nick!

Was the immobiliser light flashing when you tried to start it? Did it start for a second before dying? Zollaf the unflappable and Michael Balbrigg are the guys to talk to on here about the 80

jacksticks
12-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Hello Dr Nick!

Was the immobiliser light flashing when you tried to start it? Did it start for a second before dying? Zollaf the unflappable and Michael Balbrigg are the guys to talk to on here about the 80

Don't think it has an immobiliser to be honest....?? What does the light look like? It would fire up for about five seconds then die. It would then take another couple of goes at ten seconds a time to restart and for the car to stay idle.

Just noticed the rear passenger footwall is soaking wet so must be a blumming leak somewhere as well!

Thanks for coming back to me.

jacksticks
12-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Just checked what the symbols mean, yes the immobiliser light was flashing yellow and the coolant was flashing red on start up..

Doctle Odd
12-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Just checked what the symbols mean, yes the immobiliser light was flashing yellow and the coolant was flashing red on start up..

Welcome to VWAF. As long as the coolant light goes out and you have coolant I wouldn't worry. You really need a diagnostic scan to find out what the immobiliser problem is, usually it's something simple like a transponder.

jacksticks
12-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks. The car has three keys and the person I bought it off gave me a plain key without a battery in and forgot the rest which he will send on. Thinking about it now this could be the problem if it runs off a battery operated key? Or maybe it doesn't work like that...

Thanks again for the reply.

Doctle Odd
13-01-2015, 12:11 AM
The transponder chip doesn't need a battery