PDA

View Full Version : VAG-Com not reading- ???any ideas

beefybov
26-09-2007, 12:34 PM
New V W owner in nightmare with 1998 Passat SE 1.9 TDi (90bhp)- done 99K- no history- amongst other things poor power, not revving above 2000rpm ?over/underboost, and independent garage (recommended on this forum) unable to read codes from diagnostics.

They have never had this before, and we have no manual, so they are not sure which fuses to check- or any other reason why diagnostics not reading- there machine is working on other vehicles fine.

Already spent £700 on Clutch and DMF replacement- to find this-aaargh!!!

Any help gratefully received!!!!

Thanks,

Beefybov

bora(ing) nick
26-09-2007, 01:20 PM
New V W owner in nightmare with 1998 Passat SE 1.9 TDi (90bhp)- done 99K- no history- amongst other things poor power, not revving above 2000rpm ?over/underboost, and independent garage (recommended on this forum) unable to read codes from diagnostics.

They have never had this before, and we have no manual, so they are not sure which fuses to check- or any other reason why diagnostics not reading- there machine is working on other vehicles fine.

Already spent £700 on Clutch and DMF replacement- to find this-aaargh!!!

Any help gratefully received!!!!

Thanks,

Beefybov

The only thing i can think of is to check the connections at the back of the interface on the car. If his lead works on other vehicles, then his equipment is fine.

Good luck

Nick

Crasher
26-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Will it read other controllers on the car, such as ABS, or nothing at all?

beefybov
26-09-2007, 01:56 PM
It's not reading any information at all. Thanks for your help.

Beefybov.

Crasher
26-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Check fuse 12.

beefybov
26-09-2007, 04:50 PM
You were right bora (ing) Nick.

It turned out that an alarm system had been fitted, and subsequently, when removed, the wiring for the diagnostics had been disturbed and had been incorrectly replaced.

Once wiring correctly sorted, diagnostics worked and reported air mass meter problem and cooling sensor needing to be replaced.

I will let you know if these fairly cheap replacement parts solve problems.
If so I will be very very happy.

Thanks for all help.

Beefybov

bora(ing) nick
26-09-2007, 05:15 PM
You were right bora (ing) Nick.

It turned out that an alarm system had been fitted, and subsequently, when removed, the wiring for the diagnostics had been disturbed and had been incorrectly replaced.

Once wiring correctly sorted, diagnostics worked and reported air mass meter problem and cooling sensor needing to be replaced.

I will let you know if these fairly cheap replacement parts solve problems.
If so I will be very very happy.

Thanks for all help.

Beefybov

Glad you got sorted.... :beerchug:

Make sure you get the AMM from VW or Audi. I've heard the replica's (even bosch units) are prone to being faultystraight out of the box.

Don't think theres that much of a price difference anyway.

Nick