PDA

View Full Version : gear issue vw polo 6n2

M3rlin
08-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Hello to you all I'm new on this forum and I've got a VW polo 6n2 1.4 16v. the car's transmition is manual and it gives me hard time whenever it's cold (which is not a lot- I live in Israel). every time I start the car in the morning I wait a minute or two for the revs to set on idle RPM of 800 or so..but when I start driving I find myself struggling to shift...mostly on 2nd and 3rd gear. when it happens there's a horrible noise of metal being grinded and the car revs on neutral. but then I put in neutral and in gear and it's usually ok.But, after 10 minutes or so of driving this phenomenon is gone. Also when it's hot outside I rarely get this problem - only when cold.
Someone told me that because it's cold in the morning and the fact the car is exposed to cold all night, the viscosity of the oil is rising, and it takes a few minutes for the movement of the gears the heat the oil. Is that true? anybody have had a problem like this before?
It's super annoying to drive and get this horrible noise thinking the transmition will be busting straight through the floor.

Doctle Odd
08-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Does it have rod or cable linkage? Where's the biting point on the clutch? When did you change the gear oil?

M3rlin
12-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a cable..the biting point is pretty low - I used to drive a diesel before this one and the height differnce of the clutch is substentual.
I never changed the gear oil in the 9 months since I bought it.

Doctle Odd
12-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Adjust the cables first, this video is for a diesel but the procedure is similar

VW 5 speed shifter adjustment for 02J and MQ250 transmissions - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo)