PDA

View Full Version : What S4 box to go for, manual or auto?

A4B6Cab
04-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Am looking for an S4 (not decided on cab/saloon or avant yet) and wanodering what box is preferred, the auto, or the 6 speed manual?

Opinions guys?

Tabletski
04-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I like my auto box, never use the tiptronic mode, seldom use the sequential mode and sport mode once every now and then. I suppose it is personal preference.
I was a manual supporter in the past but now, auto. It's so smooth sometimes I don't even notice it change gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan02
04-01-2015, 03:49 PM
In a powerful car....Auto box.

charlie wade
13-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi know old thread but thought id chip in ive bought a Manual gearbox version more fun with engine and you know where your at, ok the clutch and flywheel will set you back best part of £800 plus fitting but I think that cheaper than a replacement auto box
so there you go :beerchug:

M1tchy
14-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Auto. The end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaf1que
14-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Arent these auto gearboxes the notorious unreliable ones?

adamss24
14-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Manual gearbox everytime ! The s4 used a ZF 5 speed titptronic gearbox with a conventional torque converter, it still fails if oil changes are not taken into consideration ! They are not to be confused with the multitronic/CVT gearboxes though !

As above, flywheel and clutch will set you back a few hundred pounds but they are much much cheaper to fit than a auto box overhaul !

I have driven a few facelifted s4 with auto gearboxes and i wasn't impressed, on the other hand my manual one with a JH Motorsport remap is in a different league !