PDA

View Full Version : TPMS - is it a dealer coding job?

rafletcher
29-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Like many, I'm sure, I've got TPMS on my new A4, so if I fit my (17") winter wheels I'll just get a constant warning as I don't have the sensors on those wheels. They're looking to be around £120 per wheel to fit, but that's cheaper (just) than getting a set of new 18" winter tyres to fit the OEM wheels. And I get to choose when to fit the winter wheels - October to March is too long in the UK as far as I'm concerned, December to March is generally good enough. So if I get the sensors fitted, will the car "learn" as some apparently do, or will they need coding? And will the original wheels need coding when refitted?

M1tchy
29-12-2014, 11:51 AM
I think that Audi tpms uses differences in the wheel rotations and that's is controlled by the ABS sensor? I've just changed my wheels over and told the cars MMI the pressures are correct and no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctle Odd
29-12-2014, 11:51 AM
The ABS sensors should pick u that the "wrong" wheels are fitted even with new sensors so you'll need someone with VCDS or a dealer to fix this problem

rafletcher
29-12-2014, 02:34 PM
The ABS sensors should pick u that the "wrong" wheels are fitted even with new sensors so you'll need someone with VCDS or a dealer to fix this problem

So you're saying that it has sensors fitted to the tyre valves then? It's a 2014 / 64 model by the way.

Doctle Odd
29-12-2014, 04:16 PM
The ECU gets signals from the ABS/traction sensors as well. If it reads the wrong size wheel it may show an ABS fault or go into limp mode

Guest 2
29-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Your car has the indirect system which uses ABS pulses to determine the rotational speed of each wheel. You do not have the sensors/valves.

Put your new wheels on, go into your MMI and press Store Now once you have corrected your pressures to the recommended PSI as stated on the drivers door jam for the particular size of tyre.

You do not need to visit a dealer.

rafletcher
29-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Chris, that's good to know. New Years Day looks like being warm and dry enough to wash the car and swap the wheels over ;)