PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Does rear wiper motor draw the water through from the reservoir?

percypassat
24-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Rear wiper problems again but I can't find the answer I need, please can anyone help?

water had got into the mechanism when I removed it on Audi A3 8p. I dried everything out and cleaned the washer jet out. The motor looks to be working but no water came through. I disconnected the supply pipe to the unit and tried but no water jetting out. Does rear wiper motor draw the water through from the reservoir or should it jet out when selected from the stalk at the disconnect before the rear wiper unit?

rd1
24-12-2014, 02:22 PM
I think that the water is held in the reservoir. Two other things that I found when repairing our sport back washer, the washer will not operate with the boot open and the rear stops working below a certain level, so there must be a higher outlet in the reservoir to allow priority to the front when water level is low.

percypassat
24-12-2014, 03:00 PM
I have tried with the boot shut and the reservoir topped right up but still the same!

The front jets are still working fine, is there a separate pump for the rear washers?

Rob69
24-12-2014, 03:05 PM
When you operate the rear washer from the stalk do you hear the pump but get water dripping from the front of the car? Mine had frozen up and the pipe had pushed off the pump outlet. I had to drop off the bottom tray and push the pipe back on the pump.

percypassat
24-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks Rob. I'll go have a look. I can hear there are motor whirring not sure about the pump. Is there just a single pump at the reservoir?

percypassat
24-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Strange boings on! Went to try rear washer as you said and it's squirting water from rear pipe. Rebuilt but then water coming out of wiper unit body! New unit I think.

kite
24-12-2014, 04:50 PM
You can get a repair kit for the rear wiper motor, think it comes with new pipe that the water runs through.

Rob69
24-12-2014, 05:00 PM
frost maybe cracked something inside body!

percypassat
24-12-2014, 05:09 PM
frost maybe cracked something inside body!
The pipe join inside the unit was a bit corroded. That's leaking into the body and in turn to the wiper motor

quinya3
05-01-2015, 01:38 AM
The pump bodies crack when the water freezes inside them. Changed mine last year. Its a common problem.