PDA

View Full Version : Central locking

landon
23-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I have just bought a 2003 TDi Sport Estate and the central locking is faulty. Most of the time the button on the key just opens the drivers door, and only once has opened all doors. The doors all open fine when using the button on the drivers door (but not the tailgate)

The tailgate will not unlock using the 'tailgate' button on the key, nor when the tailgate button on the driver's door is pressed. The latter results in a noise that sounds like the tailgate is unlocking but it seems to partially unlock and I have to put the key in the tailgate lock to completely unlock it.

The key battery is OK.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Sam
24-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I have just bought a 2003 TDi Sport Estate and the central locking is faulty. Most of the time the button on the key just opens the drivers door, and only once has opened all doors. The doors all open fine when using the button on the drivers door (but not the tailgate)

Someone has enabled selective unlocking - Press once to unlock the driver's door and press twice to open all doors including the tailgate.

The tailgate will not unlock using the 'tailgate' button on the key, nor when the tailgate button on the driver's door is pressed. The latter results in a noise that sounds like the tailgate is unlocking but it seems to partially unlock and I have to put the key in the tailgate lock to completely unlock it.

The key battery is OK.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Press and hold the tailgate button. It'll "pop" and then you just lift it to open.

Also, on the driver's door is a slot for the key - I never know which way it should be to allow the boot to open with the car, but try turning the slot the other way and see how this affects unlocking (I hope that makes sense!)

Sam

landon
24-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll try that this evening!

landon
24-07-2006, 08:31 PM
:confused: Holding down the tailgate button on the remote worked once but I can't get it to work again.

Turning the key in the drivers door to a different position seems to either prevent all doors being unlocked with the remote, or just the driver's being unlocked.

As all doors and the tailgate will open electronically in some way (even if on a random basis) it seems as if the motors are all OK but that there is a control or sensor problem of some sort.

Any ideas anyone please?

Micklebring
24-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I used to have the devil's job with my '02 1.9tdi sport and it was generally down to duff key fob batteries. It used to eat them.

Sam
25-07-2006, 08:37 AM
:confused: Holding down the tailgate button on the remote worked once but I can't get it to work again.

Turning the key in the drivers door to a different position seems to either prevent all doors being unlocked with the remote, or just the driver's being unlocked.

As all doors and the tailgate will open electronically in some way (even if on a random basis) it seems as if the motors are all OK but that there is a control or sensor problem of some sort.

Any ideas anyone please?

I presume this is the key slot in the door near the fuel filler release button and boot switch rather than the external door lock?

Making a wild guess, I'd say you have a faulty boot-switch which seems to be a very common fault. Do you have access to VAG-COM or do you know a friendly dealer who will be able to scan your car for any faults?

landon
25-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I was trying to use the external lock in the driver's door. I cannot see any other 'slot' on the driver's and definately not one inside by the boot release and fuel cap buttons.

My handbook arrives shortly so hopefully all will become clear!

Sam
27-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I was trying to use the external lock in the driver's door. I cannot see any other 'slot' on the driver's and definately not one inside by the boot release and fuel cap buttons.

My handbook arrives shortly so hopefully all will become clear!

Hmm, maybe they deleted it for the future models. My 2001 facelifted model has one.:confused: