PDA

View Full Version : solid or vented brakes?

rampagey
25-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi ,
i am about to replace my tired and worn front disc brakes on a 1996 A4, they are currently solid discs, but i was wondering if vented discs can be fitted without any mods. I would be grateful if anyone can help me with this question.

thanks mark

Muddy19
01-10-2007, 04:07 PM
my discs are due too on the same car.

am just gona leave solid discs put with uprated pads. ebc greenstuf or pagid.

that shud do the job. (to my understanding) to make the most use of vented/grooved discs you need better pads. as these discs cool down better. and grooved ones clip the end of the pad for a better brake. (or sumat like that anyway)

i got the same car. im gona upgrade the pads only. i'l let you knw how it goes. (the brakes on the cars are quite good i have to admit for a car 12years old) stops quicker from 90mph+ than my dads vectra. and on any dry day at any speed. (but since my abs is out on front left, i gotta control the car kaz it just jerks to one side quite sharply if i slam the brakes)

mluton
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
It will be a different setup for vented discs as they will be wider.

I think you might need new carriers to compensate the offset.

EDIT: Are we on about vents or Holes and grooves ?
I would have though your fronts were already vented.

bora(ing) nick
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I think your fronts will be vented and rears solid.

Nick

Muddy19
03-10-2007, 11:41 AM
hmmm. so the front should be vented? i dont knw. i'l go have a check. so are vented ones with the holes in them,?

bora(ing) nick
03-10-2007, 11:48 AM
hmmm. so the front should be vented? i dont knw. i'l go have a check. so are vented ones with the holes in them,?

No, They're drilled...

Vented is well, vented... Do a google search for vented discs and you'll get the picture.

Nick

mluton
03-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Vents are what gives the discs the ladder look on the rim of the disc.

Grooves and holes are on the face of the disc.

Muddy19
04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
i get'z you!

solid is just a slab of metal.

vented is like 2 slabs of metal, wit space in between looking like ladder steps

drilled is the one with holes.

ok, question. am gona get pagid fast road pads kaz ai need good brakes. and i think ma discs are due too, so which discs to i geT?

mluton
04-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Have a look at the Mintex sets on ebay. I have some on mine and they are good.

bora(ing) nick
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Have a look at the Mintex sets on ebay. I have some on mine and they are good.

I've also just changed my pads and discs from OEM to Mintex, and i am impressed with the performance more than i was impressed with the price....

I replaced all four corners, discs and pads, (fitted myself) for £120 from ebay.

Bargain!

Nick

Muddy19
05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
i did a cheap replacement for my rears bout 4months ago, just my calipers are stiff and seizing up a bit.

am after the fronts. i'l have a look on ebay later, but cant right now kaz am at work. ebay is "not allowed". even if i tried it dont let me get on to it.

thanks anyway.

Muddy19
06-10-2007, 10:52 PM
bought sum mintex pads.

theyr were chunky. not an easy fit. had to grind away a bit of the pad to make it fit (not the actual compond but the metal behind it)

once they fit (just bearly) the caliper wudnt go over it. so try'd to find out why not, and theyre's this nut thing at the back with a rubber, well its supposed to move about it was jammed.tried to pry it loose and the bolt snapped.

just my luck hey. gotta wait 2days before i can go scrappers to find half a caliper or go ******** 4 a new one.

grrrrrrr.