PDA

View Full Version : Question Another Thermostat Question - I may have been a bit stupid!

phil215
11-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I have been an avid reader of this forum since getting my first Audi a few weeks ago, but finally need to ask some that knows what they are doing :Blush:

I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.9 TDi Avant Sport, and since getting it noticed the coolant temp is only ever reaching 70 Degrees.

So i went to trusty Ebay to get a replacement and got a Topran 101601.

This afternoon i decided to fit it. After loosing one of the screws down the side of the engine i finally removed the stat after at around 45 Minutes!

Lost a good couple of litres of coolant and then went to fit the new one and its a different size and bigger than the original. I assumed FleaBay was at fault here and re-fitted the orginal and topped up the 2 litres with coolant i just bought.

Went back online and the part 101601 is the 078121113F which is apparently correct!

So my question is do i try and fit it again or am i going to waste another 2 litres of expensive pink water? :(

Thanks

Phil

zollaf
11-12-2014, 07:24 PM
heres a good bit of advice for you pal. go to a vw dealer and buy a genuine one.

fourringsrus
11-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Without coming over in a patronising manner, I totally agree with zolly above, the e-bay specials always needing doing again and quite often genuine is not that much more expensive

green A8
11-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Don't worry or feel stupid there's no need. It's called the learning curve my friend. You tried to fix the stat and hats off to you for having a go yourself. As others have stated nip down to your friendly Audi main agent and buy a genuine one.

Expensive pink water, I use the eurocarparts stuff Triple QX 5 Litres of concentrate (mix 50/50 with distilled water) for £16.99 at the moment. It has a 5 year lifespan and is rated GL12+ It's never given me any problems in any of the VAG cars I've put it in.

Good Luck

zollaf
12-12-2014, 12:41 AM
that did sound a bit patronising, sorry. just get fed up with cheap tat sold on ebay and other places that doesn't work, doesn't fit and just ends up costing the end user time and money.

green A8
12-12-2014, 01:25 PM
just get fed up with cheap tat sold on ebay and other places that doesn't work, doesn't fit and just ends up costing the end user time and money.

I think we all do. I refuse to fit anything other thatn a known make eg Meyle or Lemforder ect, or better yet OEM. My family know this and are quite happy for me to source whatever parts are needed to service/maintain their cars. Some of my friends however have a slightly different plan of attack, and insist on unmarked usually far eastern junk got from these sodding auction sites. (A plague on them!) Which is why I refuse to help quite a few of them.