PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control

hanny73
10-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Hi - my cruise control doesn't disengage when I depress the clutch, every other Audi I have this would stop cruise, is this normal on a 59 plate A4 or should I get it looked at?

Guest 2
10-12-2014, 11:02 PM
working as it should. It will let you change gear while cruise is enabled.

hanny73
10-12-2014, 11:25 PM
working as it should. It will let you change gear while cruise is enabled.

Seems slightly weird, is there a way to change it?

Guest 2
10-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Don't think so. Obviously when you dip the clutch it'll stop the drive but the ccs will stay enabled and resume the set speed when you reselect the gear.

hanny73
12-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Don't think so. Obviously when you dip the clutch it'll stop the drive but the ccs will stay enabled and resume the set speed when you reselect the gear.

I'm not sure that's right - every other Audi I've had as soon as you touch the brake or the clutch, the cruise disengages. Usually you have to pull the cruise stork to re-engage.

Guest 2
12-12-2014, 01:46 PM
If you touch the brake it'll disengage but dipping the clutch keeps the system active.

ScottyUK
13-12-2014, 03:20 PM
As Chris says : perfectly normal.

My TT (MrkI) and B6 S4 would disengage but not the A4.

I find it works fine.

hanny73
13-12-2014, 03:40 PM
As Chris says : perfectly normal.

My TT (MrkI) and B6 S4 would disengage but not the A4.

I find it works fine.

Seems slightly strange to me, not sure why the clutch pedal would work in every other car apart from an A4.....

ScottyUK
13-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Depends how you look at it. Cars five years or more don't do it, Audi improved the system, cars from them now do it.

It's just a progression. Logically why would the clutch cancel it?

gregpot2000
14-12-2014, 12:54 AM
As said, progression and works well. Means you don't have to keep reactivating it every 5minutes when you encounter slight inclines on the motorway and need to change gear
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Boy
14-12-2014, 11:06 AM
If you have a nice quiet engine, or are listening to Audio, and take the car out of gear on a long hill whilst cruise is engaged, the engine still thinks a gear is engaged and revs stay up! Once you are used to the system, it is fine, only a little different to what you may have been used to.

hanny73
16-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi - I check the manual last night and it states to switch the clutch off temporarily you can...

- press the brake pedal
- Manual gearbox - Press the clutch pedal for a relatively long period
- push lever to off position

I tried the second point today and it didn't work. I'm sorry for asking again but surely this is not right? If you are doing 70mph and change down to 2nd gear with cruise engaged it seems bizarre that the car would try to resume this speed no matter what gear?!

Guest 2
16-12-2014, 09:07 PM
The car has fail safes built in so it's not even possible to engage 2nd gear @ 70 as the ecu will cut everything off if it detects the revs will be exceeding the rev limit.

It's Vorsprung durch Technik (advancement through technology)! Times have moved on and cars get smarter.

hanny73
16-12-2014, 09:10 PM
The car has fail safes built in so it's not even possible to engage 2nd gear @ 70 as the ecu will cut everything off if it detects the revs will be exceeding the rev limit.

It's Vorsprung durch Technik (advancement through technology)! Times have moved on and cars get smarter.

Perhaps cars have got smarter......and just the fact that I haven't! :bigeyes:

allanmb
17-12-2014, 10:56 AM
As stated, this is normal behaviour. If you depress the clutch for over 10s it will turn off (from memory). Also, if you try to engage too low or high a gear, the system will disengage.

The part that gets me is that it feels like the car will brake in CC mode when going down a hill and engine braking won't keep it close to the speed. I could be wrong but it certainly feels that way!

sportq
17-12-2014, 11:38 AM
The part that gets me is that it feels like the car will brake in CC mode when going down a hill and engine braking won't keep it close to the speed. I could be wrong but it certainly feels that way!

You're not wrong. I've posted about this before, I think it's quite aggressive. Even the downward side of a speed bump will cause this on my car. I've wondered if the brake lights come on when it does this, it would explain some of the random braking I see on the roads ;) Drivers following might think they're being brake tested (though they shouldn't be that close anyway!)

Peter

Boy
17-12-2014, 10:34 PM
It is my impression that this braking effect occurs even when cruise is not engaged, when you go over a rise with a sharpish fall beyond.
I don't know enough about the throttle linkages to speculate about what movement may be causing it, but it is a little off-putting when you are not expecting it, and I also have wondered if brake lights are showing at such times.