PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar Wiring

davej
25-09-2007, 12:52 PM
2001 2.5tdiA6 Avant quattro
Just fitted a new bosal tow bar. Anyone found a ignition on, 12V feed to power the bypass board ? I looked at the 12V aux socket but the wiring out the back of it travels in a hard conduit I think. Seems alot of trouble to route power all the way from the batttery as the instructions say.
Thanks.
Dave

bora(ing) nick
25-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I had to hard wire my bosal towbar all the way back to the battery. Secured it using cable ties.

A friend of mine got his 12v feed form the side lights (on his focus) so it'd only ever work if the sidelights were switched on. (increased visability makes sense if your towing)

Nick

Niall76
25-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't help, sorry. But I am interested in where you got the towbar and how you fitted it, how much it cost etc?

Thanks

davej
25-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I ordered the bar from The leisure shack. They are on the bay of if you google you will find them. It was just under £130 delivered for the swan neck type. I picked that one as I have park sensors and the necky bit comes off with two bolts and the proper detachable bar a fair bit more to buy. Turns out the park sensors work fine with the bar on and nothing attached anyway.
Fits a treat. Plastic bumper and ally one have to come off for minor cut outs (templates provided) Very accurate neat fit . If I thought someone was going to ask about a bit of a dull job I would have taken pics.
I'll get the camera out when I do the cam belt which is the next job.
Dave

Niall76
26-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks Dave, I really didn't want to cut the bumper - how does it look? I've seen Golfs with a cut out and it looks crap!

How long did it take you to fit? Did it come with the electrics too?

I too am about to change the timing belt, it's not too bad though, just takes time more than anything.

davej
26-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi, The bumper cut is nothing really. You would have to look hard to find it were the bumper not there. 20mm x 60mm it is. I'll post some pics at the weekend for how it looks.
Took me a whole morning but I ***** around looking for little jobs to make the time outside last longer, wifey would say. Bit of Jizer here bit of hammerite and waxoil there. I did need to replace both the bumper guides £6.28 plus vat from the ******* as the fixings to bumper had broken off some time in the past. Some sealing rubber washers were missing from the 3 bumper fixings on the out side of the light cluster. I ordered these and they came in as metal ones so the jobs still not finished. Still no electrics wired in yet. It's just the power to the relay board I need to plumb in. Pondering running twin core to the engine bay but seems a bit of a faff.
Looked at the Autodata run through on the cam belt change and it looks like a good weekend to me although they state 4.5 hrs ! I reckon I'll spend that on cleaning all the bits you would never get to on any other day with bumper off and up in the air. Another good reason for DIY
Any tips on the belt change would be welcome.
Sorry forgot to mention, as I already had the electrics so that price is for swan neck bar only.

DIGIT55
27-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi
I had mine done at at towbar place in stoke.the electric comes from the back of the 12volt point in the back.it works by switching at 13 volts saves running a cable from the ignition.think you can buy them from towsure called a self switching dule split relay.at £11.25
hope this helps

davej
27-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that Digit, Sounds just what I need.
Dave

wacky77
17-02-2008, 11:07 AM
hi there, I'm about to fit a detachable westfalia tow bar to my 99a6 avant, this car has no bulb faliure warning lights on the dash so is there any need to fit a bypass relay?

ini
17-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I discovered that my towbar had been fitted by monkeys, and had been wired into the rear light cluters.

My rear bumper also has an 'alternative' mounting system.

wacky77
17-02-2008, 04:42 PM
done a few cambelts on various cars neall and all I can say is make sure you can see the timing marks BEFORE removing the old belt. If you can't see them buy a white touch up pen and make your own timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft(s) (and diesel pump if its a diesel). Just highlight a tooth then mark a stationary part of the block/head adjacent to it before removing the old belt,then you've no worries. Steve

mctowbars
01-03-2008, 01:26 AM
hi there, I'm about to fit a detachable westfalia tow bar to my 99a6 avant, this car has no bulb faliure warning lights on the dash so is there any need to fit a bypass relay?

No you dont need a any relays for your avant.

need any help ,just ask.

mctowbars
01-03-2008, 02:00 AM
I had to hard wire my bosal towbar all the way back to the battery. Secured it using cable ties.

A friend of mine got his 12v feed form the side lights (on his focus) so it'd only ever work if the sidelights were switched on. (increased visability makes sense if your towing)

Nick

it might of took a while to go to the battery and that is the correct way , did you put a in line fuse to it ? if not do so.

soz if you think im to forward but you should`nt wire a live from the side lights tell you buddy to find a seperate live to prevent any burn out damage .

Graham Shill
01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi, very interesting reading.

I used to fit towbars on my own cars years ago prior to the ECU days.
I now want to fit a towbar on my 02 Audi A4 quattro and trying to get to grips with all the wiring options and tales that go with it.
Audi dealers say they cannot advise on DIY fitting as they will become liable in the event of future problems.
Some people say that cutting into the wiring with scotch lock fittings can cause electrical fires and ECU problems so use a manufactures purpouse made wiring loom that costs 1million quid and then you have to take half the car apart to fit it.

All suggestions welcome :zx11:

Had this posted under different heading

nickllfixit
04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi, very interesting reading.

I used to fit towbars on my own cars years ago prior to the ECU days.
I now want to fit a towbar on my 02 Audi A4 quattro and trying to get to grips with all the wiring options and tales that go with it.
Audi dealers say they cannot advise on DIY fitting as they will become liable in the event of future problems.
Some people say that cutting into the wiring with scotch lock fittings can cause electrical fires and ECU problems so use a manufactures purpouse made wiring loom that costs 1million quid and then you have to take half the car apart to fit it.

All suggestions welcome :zx11:

Had this posted under different heading
NOT MUCH DIFFERENT NOWADAYS...

USE 12v PROBE TO CHECK WIRING AND WIRE UP USING A 7 WAY B/PASS RELAY, 'TOWING ELECTRICS' ONES ARE GOOD. AS ARE SCOTCHLOCKS!! USED FOR YEARS NOW, IF USED PROPERLY (AND INSIDE THE CAR!) THEY CAUSE LESS DAMAGE AND CAN BE EASILY REMOVED.

USE THICK RED/BLUE ON AMP PLUG R/H SIDE FOR POWER.

ALL LIGHTING WIRING IS ON R/H SIDE APART FROM L/H INDICATOR. (DEPENDS IF AVANT/SAL)

WIRE IT ALL UP, THEN PUT IN THE POWER FEED FUSE LAST AND CHECK USING A LIGHT BOARD OR TRAILER (NOT A PROBE- EARTH FAULTS NOT SHOWN).

CALL ME IF YOU NEED THE WIRING COLOURS AS I'VE ONLY GOT NEW SHAPE ONES WRITTEN DOWN!!
ENJOY
NICK

nickllfixit
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
ANYONE OUT THERE WIRED IN A TIGUAN TOWBAR??

I'VE A '08 ONE TO DO FRIDAY PM, AND COULD DO WITH A HEADS UP ON IT...

POSIBLY THE SAME AS NEW PASSAT/ TOUREG??

IF NO REPLY BY 1630hrs:( I'LL FIND OUT THE HARD WAY... IN THE RAIN.... IN A COMPOUND... WITH RAIN DRIPPING OFF MY NOSE AS USUAL THIS TIME OF YEAR:zx11:

THANKS
NICK

Graham Shill
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
NOT MUCH DIFFERENT NOWADAYS...

USE 12v PROBE TO CHECK WIRING AND WIRE UP USING A 7 WAY B/PASS RELAY, 'TOWING ELECTRICS' ONES ARE GOOD. AS ARE SCOTCHLOCKS!! USED FOR YEARS NOW, IF USED PROPERLY (AND INSIDE THE CAR!) THEY CAUSE LESS DAMAGE AND CAN BE EASILY REMOVED.

USE THICK RED/BLUE ON AMP PLUG R/H SIDE FOR POWER.

ALL LIGHTING WIRING IS ON R/H SIDE APART FROM L/H INDICATOR. (DEPENDS IF AVANT/SAL)

WIRE IT ALL UP, THEN PUT IN THE POWER FEED FUSE LAST AND CHECK USING A LIGHT BOARD OR TRAILER (NOT A PROBE- EARTH FAULTS NOT SHOWN).

CALL ME IF YOU NEED THE WIRING COLOURS AS I'VE ONLY GOT NEW SHAPE ONES WRITTEN DOWN!!
ENJOY
NICK
Thanks for your reply Nick, sorry I cant help you with your request on the Tiguan, but I will wish you the best of luck with it and hope it stays dry for you.
Graham