PDA

View Full Version : Audi Coupe Quattro Exhaust ???

sox
25-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi all,

I have a 1989 coupe quattro 2.3 and the cat has broken.i dont want to replace it with another one as being a G reg it dont need it to pass mot. Also its over £200! so not good. I can have a piece made up and fitted for a hundred quid but if can get the bits id rather do it myself.

Being a first time coupe owner i dont know if they all had cats?? if they didnt does anyone know if i can just put a section of pipe in from a slightly older coupe to where the cat was??

thanks
:confused:

Crasher
25-09-2007, 01:45 PM
The NG (10v) and 7A (20v) always had cats. I used to use a modified KV 2.2 10v front silencer on the NG to which I fitted a lambda probe boss but these are now obsolete from VAG and I don't know how an aftermarket one would work with this mod. You could have one custom made, as we used to have to do with the 7A, but it must take the form of a resonator box mimicking the shape of the cat as without a resonator they sound terrible and there isn't much room down there.

sox
25-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks very much for reply.

so an aftermarket silencer box is the way to go then?

rich

Crasher
26-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Possibly, but you will have to see how easy it will be to add a lambda sensor boss and the area around there is very tight.

sox
29-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I know this sound like a bodge but im a bit short with first mortgage and all.

If i was to take the cat section off and empty all the ceramic bits out and then
clean & re-fit, would it work??
An exhaust & tyre fitter told me if a cat breaks the fuel consumption goes up dramaticly but im not sure whether he was just trying to get me to spend money.
If this is the case what would be the effect of removing the ceramic bits??

Tar
rich

Crasher
29-09-2007, 03:03 PM
An empty cat is going to resonate like mad and not be pleasant. The chap who told you about cars with cats removed using more fuel was on the right lines but probably not for the reason he thought. What happens is the lambda sensor starts to run too cool due to the big glowing cat being removed and consequently they can shut down at certain speeds and increase fuel consumption. They can also make the car run lean as well, causing poor low speed drivability. The solution is to fit a lambda sensor with a more powerful heater but this usually requires an additional special purpose relay and upgraded wiring to the lambda sensor. It is something I often do to Golf 2 G60 and 1.8T conversions that are running poorly and all the same conversions that I do.