PDA

View Full Version : Trade in price

RobGriff
03-12-2014, 02:31 AM
I'm currently thinking of trading in my 2008 2.7tdi SE for another A4.
I looked on parkers at what sort of money I should expect as a trade in value. It reckoned about £8100. I also checked CAP and it was reckoning £8400-£9000. So I was very surprised when I was offered £6500!
The car is in good order and has been well looked after.
Was i a bit foolish in thinking I'd get £8000+ or was the salesman just chancing his arm?
(I also found a similarly spec'd can on the used audi page being sold for £11950.)

C172s
03-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Im not a car salesman, but having recently sold my A6 back, and previously traded in my A4, I was offered less than expected.

My A4 which I had from new was traded in for 14000, it was on the Audi Website a week later up for 18,000.
My A6 also from new was traded in for 24000, its on the website now for 28,000.

They factor in about 4,000 based on my experience, you may be able to push them for more if you have a car in mind? Mileage may be a factor as well as a discontinued engine with higher emission levels. Going in with a hard negotiating attitude would hopefully get you a better deal. I think you can probably get an extra 1000 if you push as 6500 is a starting point. Good luck.

zollaf
03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
or you could sell it privavtley , or even try we buy any car orsimilar to get a better price.

RobGriff
03-12-2014, 12:03 PM
One of the reasons I felt that their offer was so low was that we buy any car were offering £7110.

Interesting point about adding 4k to the price. That should mean they could go up to about 8k for mine which is a lot better.

Told the salesman that I was in no big rush to buy and that I'll only be moving car when I see the one I really want and I'm offered a sensible amount for my own. We'll wait and see what happens.

zollaf
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
i would tell them where to get off. they might like to make 4k out of the deal but not if you wont take less than book price for it, they than add a grand or so and still do ok out of it. its only because people accept these prices that garages can do it.

theskyfox
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Before you rush and trade in, look around you locally and see if there are any used car dealers that buy cars. When I bought my 3.0TDi, I ended up getting £1k more for my old car by selling it to a different (non-audi) dealer first! The only downside is it can be a bit of a logistical issue - you may be without a car for a short amount of time. Do remember that it is in any dealers interest to give you the least that you are willing to accept as they make a tidy markup on the reselling of your old car!

-Andrew

RobGriff
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Don't worry there is no way I'm accepting what they offered. I couldn't believe the cheek of the guy when he made the offer.
I'll look about and see if there is any dealers that would look just to buy what I have from me. No harm asking.