PDA

View Full Version : Engine/radiator cooling fan "run on "

hitrac
02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
A1 1.6 tdi now at 12000 miles. I have noticed at the end of some journeys that the fan continues to run when the engine is switched off. The last couple of times the engine temp was normal before switch off, the journey had been about 20 to 30 mins long and the speed mostly at about 50 mph with indicated outside temperature of 9 - 10 degrees.
I am used to fans coming on when sat in traffic or going slowly on hot days when in heavy traffic, hard hill climing or otherwise out of water" and usually indicated by the engine temperature guage being above its "normal" level.

Any others like this?

Guest 2
02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Normal. You've interuppted a DPF regen.

make sure you're taking it on a proper good run once every 10 days to let the DPF regenerate properly.

hitrac
05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks Chris
Sounds like, to satisfy one EU requirement to keep emissions down, energy is being used to satisfy the requirement and so economy, fuel costs go up and emmisions go up? Maybe, the engineers are still strugging to keep up with EU directives and at some point in the future we will have a better "way" of control. The petrol engines had a hard time when cats came in for the first few years. May be I should have back tracked to petrol instead of diesel.

petethebee
13-05-2020, 01:24 PM
Yes, mine starts to run before engine temp reaches normal and then runs for a while when stopped. Definately different to my old A3. Have tried changing both temperature sensors but made no difference so still scratching my head. Ran it for a bit of a run at over 2000rpm too and that made no difference. Still scratching my head.
Pete

Crasher
13-05-2020, 09:52 PM
Thanks Chris
Sounds like, to satisfy one EU requirement to keep emissions down, energy is being used to satisfy the requirement and so economy, fuel costs go up and emmisions go up? Maybe, the engineers are still strugging to keep up with EU directives and at some point in the future we will have a better "way" of control. The petrol engines had a hard time when cats came in for the first few years. May be I should have back tracked to petrol instead of diesel.

yep, it’s all bull **** and box ticking to keep the enviro lobby quiet. Whilst they have all been screaming about Co2, something else has crept up and bitten us on the **** and the result will be war between Russo/China and the West which will do a lot for the environment... actually maybe it will, erasing half the planets population might be a good thing.