PDA

View Full Version : windows misting up

hitrac
02-12-2014, 09:46 PM
A1 1.6 tdi. Now at 12000 miles and on quite a few journeys with more than just the driver, I need to continuously shift the heating to the windows to combat windows that are misting up. Feet get cooler, so send the heat back to the floor and then sometime later repeat the process. I thought it may have been the recirculation process but that makes it worse. Its a straight aircon model and not climate control. Previous cars Renault Clio diesel, 3 peugeot diesels, several Astra versions as company cars non with misty problems like this.

Anyone else with the same problem?

EssexGonzo
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Do you have the air con on all of the time? That's the equivalent of Auto in a climate equipped model and it'll probably sort this out.

Alan02
03-12-2014, 10:31 PM
AC will dehumidify the air stopping the misting in this cold weather.

Jethro48
03-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Also make sure the re-circulation button is set to receive air from outside. Internal = misting.

+1 from the others, AC on will keep the windows demisted. :biglaugh:

M1tchy
03-12-2014, 11:55 PM
I recommend (and recently bought) a car version of a silica gel bag. It's recyclable and stops about 80% of the mist on the windows. I've posted a link somewhere but can find it of you are interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hitrac
05-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks chaps. I only run aircon when the outside temp is about 20+ and then now and again just to keep the system active as previous experience of aircon caused coolant loss after a few years due to lack of regular use (said the aircon expert).
You are probably correct Alan, that the AC will dehumidify to air but, other cars, as above, have not exibited this problem. The A1 is a "quality " car and I would expect that the more "natrual" air flow through the car with the fan would keep it clear. Any idea where the cabin air exhausts to?

M1tchy
05-12-2014, 08:26 PM
I always have my AC on and never lost any coolant. You have a problem if you are.

hitrac
06-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks Mitchy. Yes, keeping the ac "on" keeps the coolany circulating aand so it does not "pool". When in the "pool" or non circulating state for long periods of time causes corrosion to occur so, keep it moving prevents this. What your silica gel version/supplier?

M1tchy
06-12-2014, 12:02 AM
I've got one of these...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121438148395

So far amazing and about 80-90% reduction in time it takes to get in and drive off in a morning.

hitrac
06-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Thanks May try that one but looking further on this site identifys more misting in A3/A4/ VW with directions to filters and matrix leaks? Carpets are dry. Using recirc, as was pointed out makes it worse, so that "flap" is probably ok.

M1tchy
06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you just have moisture in the car mate. Use the aircon for a while as that definitely helps and try a dehumidifier bag as its Defo making a difference in mine.