PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Water leaking into boot

fazercc
29-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Hi newbie to the forums so hello first.
I recently bought a 2011 Passat GT from auction, having only discovered a few days after I had water in the boot well, this is a sealed unit btw. Thought nothing of it, I saw how the cars are cleaned prior going in the auction room so just thought it was over zelous cleaning with the pressure washer.
Week later I checked the boot and there was a pool of water again. Having researched the net i was pointed to the rigid removable panels that allows bulb replacement access to the rear light cluster that is attached to the boot lid, sure enought there was a bit of water on each panel, so armed with instant gasket I removed both light clusters and sealed.
Sadly this has not resolved the problem, as you can see I am still getting water in the boot well.

The water is getting in below the fabric panels because they are dry including my boot fabric tray as per below.

Today I have taken everything out and had my son hose pipe the car down while I was in the back observing with a torch. The strange thing is there was no water ingress during this, and we must have spent a good 15mins watering in various areas which included all around the boot lid, under the wheel arches around fuel cap and around seals on rear doors.
this is a shot just to show no water got in via the boot seal.
I have checked the rear light clusters that are attached to the rear wings and no water there either.
I am wondering is this is possibly only happening when driving? Has anyone else had similar problems, and any further advise is much appreciated.

fazercc
02-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Just a quick update, car left on drive all weekend, it's been damp and some rain but the boot was dry before setting off to work yesterday. There was a light drizzle, and some surface water, I have a 15 mile journey to work, 14 miles of it motorway, when I arrived at work there was approx 1 mug full of clear water in the boot. Cleaned out when I got home again. Dry this morning, again a very mild drizzle and little surface water, got to work and dry. One very confused Passat CC owner.

Any VW technicians here? are there any possible drain or gromit could areas I could check.

Flash2
07-12-2014, 01:46 AM
I can't say for sure about the CC but there are usually blanking grommets behind the trim in your photo (pic 3). There about 30-40mm, so a big hole if one is missing.
Does your car have anything retrofit to the rear, towbar or parking sensors that might have a cable routing through the rear panel that hasn't been sealed properly.
There are vents behind the boot side trims too that can come adrift. Also check to see if the rear screen has been replaced. All the windows should have the VW logo and the same manufacturer.

Jim.

fazercc
08-12-2014, 07:51 PM
I can't say for sure about the CC but there are usually blanking grommets behind the trim in your photo (pic 3). There about 30-40mm, so a big hole if one is missing.
Does your car have anything retrofit to the rear, towbar or parking sensors that might have a cable routing through the rear panel that hasn't been sealed properly.
There are vents behind the boot side trims too that can come adrift. Also check to see if the rear screen has been replaced. All the windows should have the VW logo and the same manufacturer.

Jim.

Thanks for your reply Jim. I will try removing the trim to view that area.
My car does not have anything retrofit, no towbar, but does have parking sensors.
I was under the car yesterday and didn't realise that the actual plastic tray is just basically like a kitchen bowl sealed to the body. This week I going to add some sealant around the lip aswell.
Update to follow.

fazercc
31-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Eventually found how the water is getting into the boot, but unable to trace back due to metal body, maybe someone has an idea.
Few pics to show where water is entering. Today I have put a bit of instant gasket but Im sure the water may find a way in, also re chalked to check later if it's still getting in.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26587&stc=1http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26588&stc=1http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26589&stc=1

Flash2
31-12-2014, 04:05 PM
To try and narrow down where the water is getting in, I'd remove the O/S rear lamp unit and check the body seams in that area. Tape up the holes where the wiring connector and the lamp securing bolt pass through the body to seal those holes then, with the boot open, try pouring water from a bottle in the drain channel aft of the boot hinge. See if that causes water to leak into the boot. You might find that it takes a while before water leaks in. Sometimes the water builds up in a cavity where the body is double skinned and it has to reach a certain level inside the double skin before it reaches a point where it can leak through.

In the workshop I'd use a spray bottle with soapy water and an airline to track the leak down. Spray the seams on the outside with soapy water then blow compressed air through the seams from inside and watch for bubbles forming. That method works quite well if you happen to have a compressor and a blow gun.

Good luck tracking it down.

tanto65
13-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Hi fazercc,
we have a 2012 model Passat estate and since new we have had a problem with water dripping into the boot every time the tailgate is opened either when raining or after rain. The water would run towards the hinges but would drip from the sides of the tailgate into the boot. VW dealers were not interested when we informed them so we managed to live with it and not open the tailgate fully in wet weather.
HOWEVER……. today the wife lifted the floor in the boot to check the spare wheel as the car is going for an MOT tomorrow morning, and she found approx 2 inches of water in the wheel well. The seal along the bottom edge of the boot was wet and I reckon the water is getting in and entering the boot via the space around the boot latch. Everything else in the boot was dry but I did not check under any of the trim for missing grommets etc. The car is a Motability car and is due to be replaced in May but I will be having words with the dealers in the morning.

Hope you manage to resolve your leak problem, at least we can just get rid of the car, not ideal for the next person who buys it I know as I can't see the dealer doing anything about it before it goes back to Motability and on to auction.

Dave.

fazercc
14-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Hi Dave.
I did manage to sort it after weeks of investigating I went back to basic again, rechecked the seal and found a small slash rather than tear in the boot seal.

tanto65
14-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Good to hear fazercc,
I spoke to the service manager today and he said they would do a water test on our car, strange how they are now interested in helping us. Anyway the car is booked in for the test on 6th April and we shall see what they come up with. In the meantime I may have a go at doing my own water test at home before it goes in.

tanto65
07-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Just a wee update on our leaking boot. VW dealers took the car in and did the water/leak test and it was found that the water was getting in through the rear wiper arm seal. Seal was duly changed and so far no more leaks. Car goes back to Motability on Saturday (9th May ), so at least the next owner should not have the same problem. It has been a great car for the wife, very quick off the mark and good on the fuel, no other problems either. Staying with the VAG though as new car is an Audi Q3 in Hainan Blue.

Rockie925
29-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Mine is 2010 passat. In 1 week I have an inch of water in the boot around spare tyre area. And all around the boot is water.
But the carpets in the boot are all dry.

Flash2
29-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Mine is 2010 passat. In 1 week I have an inch of water in the boot around spare tyre area. And all around the boot is water.
But the carpets in the boot are all dry.
Is yours an estate, saloon or cc?

Saloon models have a rubber grommet type seal around where the boot lid support tubes pass through the body. On the underside of those seals there is a drain hole with a hose attached. The hose routes down behind the boot trim and through a hole in the corner of the boot floor. Make sue those drain hoses are properly attached at the top and still poking through the floor at the bottom. Also try disconnecting the hoses at the top and blow through to make sure they haven't become blocked by the dirt that get washed in along with the water.

Jim.