PDA

View Full Version : Golf MkIII random question!

Matt_MK3
24-09-2007, 10:47 PM
hello
On my Golf MK3, when i'm driving along i usually hear this quite loud sort of, whistling (or screaching might be a better word). Sounds like it's coming from the right hand side of the car and usually only does it as i start to turn right, but sometimes just as im driving along in a straight line. Any ideas of what it could be, and if it can be stopped? I was thinking one of the brake calipers maybe but, i dunno lol know nothing about cars :(

but yeh, any kind of help will be aprreciated as it's getting very annoying!!

Cheers
Matt

rsharr88
25-09-2007, 12:47 PM
would it not be just air leeking from a turbo?? part from that not a clue

hagis
25-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm no expert but it might be a wheel bearing?

Crasher
25-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Had pads recently?

Matt_MK3
25-09-2007, 02:01 PM
how would air leaking make a screeching sound though. It does sound like metal on metal...
I think wheel bearings tend to sort of hum, rather than squeek. i'm not sure,
i havn't replaced the pads. I havn't had the car that long.
If it is the pads will it stop?
I thought maybe it was a stone or a bit of grit stuck somewhere. If it's wet it doesn't seem to be as bad though.

notquitecornish
27-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I've got a mk3 Golf (1994, 157k) that's in brilliant shape, which I just had serviced before moving to Uni. Now and again I hear a high-pitched squeak, which occurs when I'm steering to the right a little bit faster than you normally would (ahem!).

I had put it down to just excessive speed causing me to skid the car a bit - after all, it's a 1.8 and until I bought this car I was used to a 0.8 Fiat Cinquecento then 1.2 Corsa. However having read this thread, I'm worried it could be something wrong with the car rather than me!

Disclaimer: by 'excessive speed' I mean taking a tight roundabout at about 20mph as I've never driven it before, pulling into the local supermarket car park at 15mph instead of a more sedate 5, like the sign says...etc!

Matt_MK3
27-09-2007, 02:04 PM
yeh. well mine is 1997 and done 43k. I don't think it's a serious problem, it's just irritating! I'm pretty sure now that it is just the brake pads. When you apply the brake slightly it stops. So, i wouldn't think its anything to worry about!