PDA

View Full Version : Oil worry!

milkyjoe01
26-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi guys. I have an issue with my oil. I have a 2004, Audi A3, 2.0 TDi BKD. I am getting a puff of blue smoke only at start up, it doesn't do it whilst the engine is running, its only at start up & only when its been sat for over 15/16 hours. Any less & it doesn't happen. With this in mind I checked the dipstick & it was reading min. I think so anyway cuz the dipstick is strange to read. It was about 1mm above the min. It is the dipstick with 2 bits of plastic, 1 bit at the tip which is shaped like a bullet & the other bit of plastic at the top of the max. level that is like a ball. With this in mind I topped up the oil with 500ml but now its reading way over max!!!!! My questions to anyone are:
no. 1: Has anyone experienced the blue smoke on start up & resolved it or can anyone suggest what the issue is.
No. 2: Does anyone know how much oil takes the dipstick from min. to max.?

alankru
27-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Hello.

I'm afraid that I cannot answer question number 1.

Regarding question number 2 though; like you have done, it is 500ml from min to max.
This dipstick is difficult to understand and I think Audi have now realised this and made a video on their website to help:
Engine and exhaust < Get to know your Audi < Owners Area < Audi (http://www.audi.co.uk/content/audi/owners-area/get-to-know-your-audi/engine-and-exhaust.html)
(Video "Checking and topping up oil")

You will note (as I have also been advised by my mechanic) that the engine should be warm when the reading is taken.

Crasher
28-11-2014, 12:00 AM
I would expect a code read to show you have one or more failed glow plugs and this is the usual cause of the morning puff......