PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tyres and Barum Bravius Summers

apole
26-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Put the winter tyres on again today, as with my luck the temperature is now bound to go up! Not that I'd mind actually.

Anyway, keep a note on miles done when I do the swap and noticed the Barums have done a shade over 29k and still have a few mm on them. Not bad. I will probably get a new set before putting the summer wheels back on as they are looking like they are almost done, still above the wear indicator but not much. Good think is the wear is even across the tyre width and the same on all 4.

So very impressed with them, quiet, grip well and lasted much longer than I'd thought.

JimC64
26-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Totally agree Andy, I'm a fan as you know!

Sounds like they've served you well so far?
I have had a few on my A6, Also have them on Peter's X type, Jamie's Vauxhall Vectra and my Aunt's Renault Laguna, as well as recently having both sets replaced last week on both the A6 and the Jaguar XJ.

Really good in terms of a value for money tyre that doesn't compromise big time like others do.
Made by Continental in the Czech Republic with comparable noise ratings, better treadwear being a slightly harder compound and really decent wet grip too....I know, I've tested them...lol

Not sure if you're on the 19's same as me?
255 35 19

National tyre are currently offering these online at £458 set
Promo code A5BRM will get you another 5% off = £435.10 set
Bearing in mind your's may have 3mm or so by the sound of it, these could sell on Gumtree for around £40 - £50
You could then remove the £6 for tyre disposal, meaning around £390.00 for the set if you buy now, can't be bad!

Hope the winters serve you well

Cheers
Jim

neilos100
26-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Yep I'll add to the above...great tyres and mine are now down to the wear markers at the front after around 30K miles .
Car being MOT'd in next couple of days so like Andy the winters are going on before I get a new pair of Bravuris 3's in the spring.
Highly recommended tyres indeed and if any one thinks they are cheapo ditch finders....think again!
Neil

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Norrington21
26-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Me too, based on JimC64's previous posts I opted for Barums all round on my 3.0 LeMans. Previous owner had fitted Pirreli run flats so anything was going to be an improvement on noise but the wear is looking good and I've no complaints on handling or cost either.

I used National Tyres eBay store at 7pm and by 11am the next day they had been delivered to Perth for free balancing and fitting. Superb service!!!! I can't remember the exact cost but it was favourable. I'd taken the time to go into the branch to ask about them before ordering and the staff their couldn't match their own company's eBay price. From memory they were £150-£170 more expensive, mad!!!!!

My fathers did the same through National based on my experience although he opted for the Conti's and had no problems either.

A definite WIN for the A6 C6 Forum in my opinion!!

apole
26-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Good tip Jim,

Thanks for that.

With the code and no new valves (mine has TPMS sensors) down the £336 for 4.

JimC64
27-11-2014, 12:30 AM
Me too, based on JimC64's previous posts I opted for Barums all round on my 3.0 LeMans. Previous owner had fitted Pirreli run flats so anything was going to be an improvement on noise but the wear is looking good and I've no complaints on handling or cost either.

I used National Tyres eBay store at 7pm and by 11am the next day they had been delivered to Perth for free balancing and fitting. Superb service!!!! I can't remember the exact cost but it was favourable. I'd taken the time to go into the branch to ask about them before ordering and the staff their couldn't match their own company's eBay price. From memory they were £150-£170 more expensive, mad!!!!!

My fathers did the same through National based on my experience although he opted for the Conti's and had no problems either.

A definite WIN for the A6 C6 Forum in my opinion!!

Thanks for the rep Norrington21
Glad you liked the price and quality of these tyres and they worked well for you

+1 on the fact that Instore ( mine were around £640 iirc ) but I could order them online for £458 before adding my discounts!
So strange that the guys in the firing line cannot move and lose business day after day from customers who just walk out......really weird setup

Good tip Jim,

Thanks for that.

With the code and no new valves (mine has TPMS sensors) down the £336 for 4.

Cool, good price

Don't know if you will take yours away for resale on Gumtree or not, always worth £30 - £50 to someone less fortunate or looking for track day tyres.
That would also mean a further £6 off as you don't have to pay for casing disposal either :biglaugh:

Re the discount code - only valid till end of December iirc

stokey1964
02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
National Tyres have now put their price up on these, but if you go via tyre shopper they are much cheaper and actually the same company and same fitting depot Simon

JimC64
02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow, now £569.20 for 4 off, which is still a great deal to be fair, but....

In the course of around a week they've went up by around £110.

Looks like I got mine at just the right time.

stokey1964
02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
www.tyre-shopper.co.uk (http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk) £455.13 for set of 4 255 35 19 XL 96Y fitted at national tyres same company but hell of a lot cheaper

M1tchy
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Looks like a good price. Will ask the boss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rictic68
05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I followed the thread about Barum Bravarius tyres about 18 months ago I thought I wpuld give them a try. The car has been perfectly happy with them on but I'm disappointed in the wear rate. I always make sure the tyres are inflated correctly but found that although I paid just over 50% of the price for a premium brand, they've worn in about 1/2 the time. If I have the money as I'm coming up to another change and I convince myself I'll keep the car then I think I'll go back to Contis.

Got the winter tyres waiting on their rims in the garage but it just doesn't want to snow and thats no fun. My front wheel drive s-line with winter tyres is a car transformed. When it used to snow (in the old days) I used to go out hill climbing (well steep slopes maybe) and it was fanstastic getting up everything effortlessly. On the summer tyres though it wouldn't even want to move forward/backwards in a flat Asda carpark in the snow. I was digging for victory while all the other cars drove round me. Very emabarrasing and never again.

Its worth noting that if you are keeping the car 3 years and you switch to winter tyres for 4 months every year then they'll pay for themselves. They are a lot cheaper (possibly due to the reduced speed rating on the tyre) than premium summers and I think I'll save enough wear on the summers that over the 3-4 year ownership of the car I can cover the costs of buying them. A no brainer. The only snag is I don't want to put them on unless it going to snow as I want that tread as deep as possible for maximum snow performance.

RickT
23-12-2014, 04:27 PM
I run 240 40 18 Barum Bravius Summers, cost £390 all in fitted via Tyre Shopper.

Really good tyre if a bit soft/low wear rate i have found on the rear and have already rotated them too. (running a square set up) -

Tyres are now around 60% at least worn across all 4 due to rotating them between 2 summer usages.

Looking at the tyres now I will get another summer from them using the lowest tread depth and then will replace that pair.

Around 15k miles I think.

(i run winters for around 4 months also)