PDA

View Full Version : Windows open fully when car locked

laceywarmington
24-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi

I have a 15 month old Passat 1.9TDI estate which has had no problems since new until now.
Last night it was locked as per normal and all was still Ok this morning. Sometime during the morning ALL FOUR WINDOWS opened fully whilst the car remained locked.
Anyone else had this problem..it might be a 'one off' but it's a security worry !!

carl s
25-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi

I have a 15 month old Passat 1.9TDI estate which has had no problems since new until now.
Last night it was locked as per normal and all was still Ok this morning. Sometime during the morning ALL FOUR WINDOWS opened fully whilst the car remained locked.
Anyone else had this problem..it might be a 'one off' but it's a security worry !!

You're right it's a security worry, but also a "getting soaked" worry if it rains and you don't notice. Is there a chance that something was resting on the keys overnight? Only if you press unlock on the remote and keep it held down you'll get the same effect.

Quatrelle
25-09-2007, 11:00 AM
You're right it's a security worry, but also a "getting soaked" worry if it rains and you don't notice. Is there a chance that something was resting on the keys overnight? Only if you press unlock on the remote and keep it held down you'll get the same effect.Might be worth turning that facility off as a temporary measure - more so if you never use it.

laceywarmington
25-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Carl s
Thanks for the prompt reply.
:oI didn't realise that keeping the button held down had that effect so it may well be an explanation as I probably had had the keys in my pocket around the house.

I presume I'll need the dealership to do a software change to disable that function (which I haver never used and can't see much possibility of me ever intentionally using !)
I'll ask when I go for a service.

Thanks

faticus
25-09-2007, 08:39 PM
HI, i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2002 A4 AVANT ! WASN`T HAPPY WITH THE SEATS GETTING SOAKED TWICE !!!!!!!!!
THIS ALSO WAS OVERNIGHT ,SO KEY WAS NOWHERE TO BE PRESSED:confused::confused:
HASN`T HAPPENED SINCE SO ITS STRANGE.:confused::confused::confused::confused::c onfused::confused::confused::confused:

Quatrelle
25-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Carl s
Thanks for the prompt reply.
:oI didn't realise that keeping the button held down had that effect so it may well be an explanation as I probably had had the keys in my pocket around the house.

I presume I'll need the dealership to do a software change to disable that function (which I haver never used and can't see much possibility of me ever intentionally using !)
I'll ask when I go for a service.

ThanksYou can disable the window function yourself from the car's options menu - no need to go to the dealer.

carl s
27-09-2007, 12:00 PM
The windows down feature is useful on a hot summer day when you don't want to get into the car until it's cooled down a bit!

The windows up facility is more useful if you park, get out and then realise you've left a window open.

BenR
03-10-2007, 03:22 PM
The car's options menu? Eh? Tell me more please!

Quatrelle
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Have a look at the Driver's Manual, booklet 3.1, page 12 onwards - lists how to access the options etc. Have fun.....

Pete123
29-10-2007, 10:12 PM
It does tell to read the manual, after reading this thread i opened and closed the windows remotely, which i didn't know was possible.
Pete:beerchug:

jockblue
09-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks to all on this thread - just had exactly the same. Massive storms last night, gales and heavy rain and just the time for the Passat's windows to all open!

I'll have to hide the keys somewhere that the three year old can't find them!

claranet
22-01-2008, 12:45 AM
This may seem a a bit weird to suggest but Does this happen only at home ?

One of the functions of the B6(the B5 as well) locking system is that if the key remote buttons are pressed and held down, after a while all the windows will open or close depending on which button is pressed. If one sits in a certain position with other articles in one's pockets then it is very possible for a button on the remote Key to be accidently pressed and of course if the car door is not opened, the doors lock them selves but leave the windows open, which can trigger the alarm in windy weather and/or get the seats etc wet, especially at the moment.

To summarise then; make sure that your remote key is not being accidentaly operated !
Regards
Claranet

Phil Mcavity
22-01-2008, 09:20 AM
This was a problem with the Mk 5 GTi i had previously, windows used to open of their own accord.Take the car back to the ********.

djsky
24-01-2008, 06:24 PM
The car's options menu? Eh? Tell me more please!

Only available if you have a multifunction steering wheel i think.

I picked up my Passat SEL expecting to be able to adjust the daytime running lights etc. but can't because I don't have the multifunction steering wheel.

You have to take it to a dealer, or buy VAG-COM for a laptop and plug into the car.

Annoying that I spent all that money, and they failed to mention that I couldn't adjust these settings without spending another 300 quid.

Phil Mcavity
26-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Its NOT the multifuntion wheel that allows you to adjust those settings , its whether your car has a highline computer in the dashboard, and not the half sized screen (midline computer) thats fitted as standard when spec'd.Costs £50 when you spec the car, but you retro fit but costs an absoluter fortune to do. Take to VW dealer or us Vag com to adjust your settings.
HTH.

djsky
26-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Its NOT the multifuntion wheel that allows you to adjust those settings , its whether your car has a highline computer in the dashboard, and not the half sized screen (midline computer) thats fitted as standard when spec'd.Costs £50 when you spec the car, but you retro fit but costs an absoluter fortune to do. Take to VW dealer or us Vag com to adjust your settings.
HTH.

Again, dealer fault...

I saw no mention of this optional extra when ordering the car, nor do i see one on the latest options. (in the UK at least).

Can you forward me a link to something official that shows it as an option? I have a right mind to complain to VW about this.

DaveNN
26-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Again, dealer fault...

I saw no mention of this optional extra when ordering the car, nor do i see one on the latest options. (in the UK at least).

Can you forward me a link to something official that shows it as an option? I have a right mind to complain to VW about this.

I've just checked through the 01/08 price list & I can't find anything about the OBD (or C) upgrade....or I'd've paid for that out of my own pocket (as well as the Aux in option).....
As noted earlier, the salesman are useless........the VW website isn't much better. Where the likes of Saab & Vauxhall score is the ability to build (albeit virtually) your own car.
The reason for joining this Forum, in the 1st place, was for info like this.
Truth be told, the Forum is extremely informative & entertaining....unlike the VW website!!
:beerchug:

djsky
26-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Pardon my ignorance... what is OBD or C ...?

DaveNN
26-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Pardon my ignorance... what is OBD or C ...?

Not ignorance...I use too many abbreviations

OBD /C ............On Board Display/ Computer...

NASA = Need Another Seven Astronauts.....I see another thread here!!:biglaugh:

Quatrelle
27-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Not sure what you can and can't do with VAG-com. My understanding is that it is more of a diagnostic tool rather than something that you can use to tweak the spec.

Might be worth asking on one of the other forums here, because some members have bought their own.

Phil Mcavity
27-01-2008, 08:45 AM
im pretty sure the highline computer with multifunction wheel on all all SEL models is standard and optional on all other models unless specified that you want multifuntion steering wheel fitted as an extra.If the steering wheel is retro fitted like i had mine done, the buttons dont do all the correct funtions without having a multifunction display. It becomes a very costly affair if you had both fitted, costing nearly £800+ to have fitted.It works also in conjuntion with the factory fit sat nav MFD2 where you get road directions matching those shown on the sat nav screen which was great.(had previously in My GTi mk 5 b4).

orangezorki
27-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I think you need to have the Sat Nav for the highline MFD unless you have the 3.2 4Motion. I'll let you know, as I'm about to get bit by this stingy decision of VW's.

David

djsky
28-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd really like to know the score with this.

What do you have to buy in order to get the multifunction "Highline" display/computer?

Having bought a tailor made £27,000 Passat estate, I perhaps would have been happy to pay £50 for this computer, to be able to adjust coming/leaving home lights, and dimming footwell lights, auto windows, auto lock, dipping mirrors etc.

I would perhaps have even considered spending £160 on the multi-functional steering wheel. - Of which I decided against because I will be replacing the stereo with one that probably wouldn't work wit the volume controls etc.

I assume it's also a case of replacing not just the steering wheel, but the display unit on the dash, as mine has a divider half way up the display.

Anyone got any further facts/suggestions?

I'm gonna push this to VW head office and maybe they'll be able to retro-fit the computer? I don't need the steering wheel, and from the manual it suggests that the settings can be changed with the wiper stork.

orangezorki
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Not sure if it helps or annoys, but my '08 Passat SEL TDi DSG came with the Highline MFD. It does have alot of options though, including the multifunction wheel and Bluetooth, though not, importantly, the SatNav which is the only item listed to come with the Highline.

Wierd, as they forgot to build in the electric seats, which I actually ordered. I'm not sure that I'll get over the grief, but the £650 discount they offered is helping, along with the fact that hardly anyone else is likely to drive the car, so I have no idea why I ordered them in the first place.

David.

vwmatt
03-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Hi

It is either pressing the key fob whilst the car is locked, or there is an intermittent fault which a software update can cure. :)

Terry Wilson
13-03-2008, 01:48 PM
On my year 2000 A4 the electric front windows open on their own - definitely no key anywhere near. It has happened 4 times in the last 8 years, 2 occasions on very hot days, 2 occasions during heavy storms. Last time was a few nights ago and I am still working on drying it out after soaking up several litres of rain water with towels.

Having been caught before I always check after leaving the car and make sure the keys are out of the way.

Full opening can be initiated with a flick of the door switches but depression of the key button must be sustained for 7 seconds to fully open. I suspect some atmospheric electrical discharge triggers the event.