PDA

View Full Version : Question Alternative To AutoData ?

A4 Lad
22-11-2014, 12:16 PM
HI folks. I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to AutoData subscription ? I am currently looking at buying a SnapOn Modis or Verus. The Verus obviously has a guided fault finding guide which is backed up by AutoData to help towards expected readings etc where as the Modis does not.

zollaf
22-11-2014, 01:21 PM
texa, although you still need to pay. autodata is expensive but worth it really for what it contains. the snap on doesn't really help that much, its only a generic list of codes , but the modis does give you expected readings as well, certainly for most makes that have good diagnostic capabilities, like vag.
my brother uses the texa and has done away with autodata.

A4 Lad
22-11-2014, 02:12 PM
I have a Modis on loan from Snap On this week so I'll get a hands on experience with it to see how it benefits. We have the old AutoData but it's hard to justify £75 plus cat a month for the full package. It is a lot of money ontop of update prescriptions for the Modis. I thought that there might have been an alternative that was cheaper that would include the likes of wiring diagrams, service schedules and timing belt info

zollaf
22-11-2014, 03:07 PM
yes, look at texa.

Flash2
23-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Ideally you want to buy a diag tool that comes with the data package like texa but also consider Bosch ESiTronic and Hella HGS data.

For diagnostic info the data packages, like the scan tools, are great on some cars and not so good (and sometimes next to useless) on others. The problem is knowing which one is going to suite the majority of cars that you'll be working on. They all seem good at first. It's not until you really start putting them to work that you find were they're weak.

Jim.

therevrendjr
26-04-2015, 08:58 PM
For all round diagnostic compatibility i have found that Launch equipment is very good but i am unsure if it offers guided test plans.