PDA

View Full Version : MkII driver ~ What to look out for ?

Chuff
24-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Having bought one blind off ebay, what areas should i pay particular attention too :1zhelp:

dependant on how the MOT goes, it might be a working project or a complete strip down :confused:

Oddball
26-09-2007, 02:48 AM
I presume it's a 1.6 you have. I believe the front and rear wheelarch linings can get a bit rusty. Also when I got mine I replaced the front bushes (two either side) which greatly improved the handling. But apart from that it's really all the usual, timing belt, gaskets, check the exhasut system. One bit to watch is the brakes, mine are really quite sh*te. The golf brakes have never really been that good, so with the 1.6 or bigger, you should contemplate having them checked for optimum perfomance.

Grab yourself a haynes manual too, some people hate them but I wouldn't be without mine, saved myself quite a bit of dosh with it.

Chuff
26-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Hello oddball, yeah its the 1.6 Driver.
I am collecting it tonight, its been stored 18 month and needs a new tail section of the exhaust.
Will be deep stripping it either V soon, or in the coming months dependant on how the MOT goes do will be checking those areas and doing a fcull underseal.
Haynes Manual is in the Post , as is a few other " bitz "
Will keep you updated.

Oddball
05-10-2007, 01:48 AM
So chuff, how's the car going?

Any bits need sorting so far?

Chuff
05-10-2007, 12:29 PM
well towed her home and tried bump starting it without sucess

but with a new battery, and spark plugs, no back box or airbox she started first turn of the key :D

looks liek the brakes were overhauled just before it was taken off the road, so have fitted a new back box and repaired the airbox.

just the thing is ticking over at 3k now s looks liek i will have to change the wax stat, or i might just fit a manual chcoke kit instead :1zhelp:

Oddball
05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Thats what I love about them, always so eager to run. Mine sat on a driveway under a cover for six months and she started right away.

If you've got the original pierberg carb, then a good thing to get (provided you can afford it) is a weber 32/34 DMTL, you can get second hand ones and new ones on ebay. This carb is very easy to fit, being almost identical to the pierberg 2E2.

sferg55
21-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Worth checking the the cooling fan spins round on its bearings easily - mine has siezed twice, they tend to go around 100k miles. Better to find out now before the summer. All I did with mine was soak the fan motor it in engine oil for a week, and its run fine ever since.