PDA

View Full Version : VAG CAN Pro any users out there

B5NUT
11-11-2014, 08:00 AM
I've got a full licensed version of VCDS bought it about 8 years ago and it's been one of my best purchases, it's same me more money that I can think about and made me a fair amount of money as well.

I'm now looking at buying VAG CAN Pro as I want to start mucking around with firmware and the stuff VCDS just wont allow. The cost of the cable is not that bad around £200 and from what I understand to get the latest update you need to buy a yearly license which is around £30 again cheap enough. So anyone got any comment on VAG CAN Pro and how there tech support is, I email sales yesterday but no response as yet?

gupsterg
13-11-2014, 05:27 PM
On another forum I got some great info on VAG CAN PRO , I don't think this forum have any users of it.

Email support is not very forthcoming from the manufacturer/seller.

Some modules it can do FW updates and from what answers I got it was mainly modules with CP it doesn't handle well for FW update.

AVDI seems to be a better product from what I've read on another forum, but dearer for the genuine article plus does Link:- CP removal (http://abritus72.com/vagcp.html)

I know a forum member on hear who can share experience about AVDI.

B5NUT
13-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Cheers, I think I'm going to make a purchase anyway. You are right about the email support I've still not got any thing back from them.

gupsterg
13-11-2014, 06:41 PM
There was a post on the other forum which was from a VCDS and VCP user that stated preference of how output tests / automated diagnostics was better with VCP than VCDS and possibly more of them.

olsen-72
23-11-2014, 09:34 PM
I have VCP. In my opinion its a great tool but its much more complicated than VCDS. It also has few more options which VCDS dont have i.e. new ABS pump adaptation with long coding (additional option)

olsen-72
28-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Forget to mention - if You will have any problem with VCP their support is s***t. Each time I have a question they respond in a WEEK!!

B5NUT
10-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Finally got my cable on order. Interested to see what it's like. One thing I would say it was almost £50 cheaper ordering it direct from vag-tech than ordering from the UK supplier.

Shame their support is poor, VCDS support has always been very good.

olsen-72
10-01-2015, 09:03 AM
You will enjoy it mate. Much more functions than on vcds.
And lot of One Clicks Options i.e. adaptation of G85 is done when car is stationary instead vcds when you have to drive it a bit.

B5NUT
10-01-2015, 02:51 PM
The only down side that I can see so far is the USB hardware dongle, I've got a Surface Pro 3 tablet and it only has 1 USB port, Will have to find a small 2port USB hub.

olsen-72
10-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes. It need 2 usb ports. One for main cable and one for smart card reader. Can't even download the software without reader

B5NUT
10-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Do you know if VCP can do mileage correction, the cluster on my A4 is 70K miles out (I new the car was clocked before I purchased it) and I would like to put the correct mileage on the cluster.

olsen-72
10-01-2015, 06:26 PM
No it cannot. Its like VCDS but with few more options. But I can do your cluster hehe

B5NUT
10-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Do you ever get near the north east, as I'm about to fit a facelift cluster to my A6 so that's going to be out as well.

olsen-72
10-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Midlands mate so a bit far away

B5NUT
10-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Yer same here, and I don't want to drive 2 cars down. Do you do this as a business or would you be will to PM me what software & cable you use.

MOD's I can post proof that my cluster does not match my engine ECU, I'm not trying to turn this into a how to clock my car thread.

olsen-72
10-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Pm me

Crasher
19-07-2018, 11:25 AM
An old thread but it didn’t seem sensible to start a new one. I received my cable last week directly from https://www.vcp-system.com (https://www.vcp-system.com/additional-functions/esp-coding-detail) and the service was prompt. My initial impression was that it is a pain in the **** to get the dongle to install but after making thoroughly sure the lap top (win 7) was completely upto date on Windows update, it finally installed BUT overall it is much more involved and time consuming to install than VCDS. I had about 20 minutes to play with it before going home and being off this week so as I learn how to use it I will post interesting differences between VCP and VCDS on here plus how VCP compares with ODIS, especially in its flashing abilities. My decision to buy VCP was prompted by the realisation that my current pair of VCDS cables suddenly became obsolete and useless on late cars overnight, I can’t give customers a printed report that has an obsolete cable warning splashed all over the report! Initially I was unsure why I was getting a cable error on PQ35 cars steering angle sensor and then an update took this away but then I started getting controller errors on very new cars in for service, such as the current A6 convenience system that I could not scan and I so I asked about it on the VCDS forum but the responses I had were rude, dismissive and abrupt and then I asked again and was told tersely my cable was obsolete so I thought sod you! What really annoyed me is six months ago I bought a new Hex Can dongle to permanently install in a customers heavily modified car, connected to a built in tablet PC (which also connects to the aftermarket engine management unit) only for the thing to suddenly be obsolete by the time the project is finished!