PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions -Audi A6

Timncfc
06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi guys,
Firstly im no mechanic or expert on cars, i have just bought an Audi A6 3.0tdi estate on a 05 plate, i don`t have a full service history but am concerned about the cambelt, ive spoken to two garages, one says its a cambelt and the other a timing chain, can anyone verify which it is.

Secondly the fuel gauge doesn`t work which i have heard is common on this model, now does anyone know someone in the Northwest who can repair this reasonably.

And the questions keep coming, do the wheels from an Audi A3 fit on the A6?

The car drives lovely and im really pleased, i have had a couple of TT`s before and the quality of Audi cars has always impressed me, thanks in advance for any replies

Lukenkarl
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Hi guys,
Firstly im no mechanic or expert on cars, i have just bought an Audi A6 3.0tdi estate on a 05 plate, i don`t have a full service history but am concerned about the cambelt, ive spoken to two garages, one says its a cambelt and the other a timing chain, can anyone verify which it is.

Secondly the fuel gauge doesn`t work which i have heard is common on this model, now does anyone know someone in the Northwest who can repair this reasonably.

And the questions keep coming, do the wheels from an Audi A3 fit on the A6?

The car drives lovely and im really pleased, i have had a couple of TT`s before and the quality of Audi cars has always impressed me, thanks in advance for any replies
Only one I can help on is its a chain

Timncfc
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your answer, what is the life expectancy of these chains, mine is really quiet, no rattles or noises

Scott K
07-11-2014, 11:55 AM
The fuel gauge fault is sometimes due to the sender in the tank.
The A3 wheels will fit - the PCD is 5 x 112 and centre bore is 57.1mm on both but the offset on the A3 alloys will be between 45-50, slightly less on the A6. A4 will also fit. Just watch as the newer models went to a centre bore of 66.6mm which means you need spigot rings. Chain is on the car for life and very expensive if it goes wrong. Tensioners also wear out. If it is quiet, the general consensus is keep the oil changes very regular and you should (might)be ok. I did 130k in my one and had no issues and there are others with far higher mileages, other guys not so lucky.
What spec have you got on the car?