PDA

View Full Version : Polo 1.4 16v BBY Complete engine and clutch change advice.

swa65
05-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

The misses car 1.4 16v 2003 petrol cambelt broke last week. Done 130,000 miles, got the head off and looks like all the font valves have bashed the pistons. Have made the maybe risky decision to replace the engine with a 70,000 replacement from 1st choice spares. While its out going to change the clutch, obviously replace the belts, new thermostat, water pump and flange, spark plugs, oil, filters etc. All for just over £500. The engine arrived today and looks like its been removed with care. Getting all the parts tomorrow and will start getting the old block out over the weekend.

Now I have done a far bit of my own car repairs in the past. Head gasket and head recon on a 97 Corsa. Brakes, rads, etc. So feeling reasonably confident. I have been studying the Haynes and been labelling everything up as i take it off. If you have been down this path any advice on procedures, what to look out for, specific tools that you can't do with out then as much knowledge before hand would be great. As they say knowledge is power.

I'm hoping its going to give us a car that will see us a far few more years. Just couldn't get rid of it but also couldn't really afford to get the garage to do it either. So fingers crossed all will be smiles in the end. :o

Thanks in advance for your time.

Rob69
11-11-2014, 09:05 PM
hi , i used to have same engine. see your post is afew days old now and hopefully you're up and running. Just thinking you might need to do the throttle body adaptation using vcds, haven't done it personally so best search forum for info.