PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Vs Genuine 19" Rotor Alloy Wheels

IGL2014
02-11-2014, 10:39 PM
I'm looking at giving my 2008 A4 S Line a bit of a facelift. I have been mulling over putting on some of the newer style Black Edition Rotor Alloy Wheels. I have been looking at second hand genuine wheels Vs New Non Genuine. The used genuine wheels are about £1800 with tyres for a decent set and I can get hold of a new set of non gen's with Falken tyres for £1000. The only thing that worries me is that the genuine wheels are 5 x 112 with a offset of 43, the non gen's are 5 x 112 with an offset of 45.
Has anyone got any experience with these wheels and help me decide what to do?

Thanks
Chris

Guest 2
02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Aftermarket wheels aren't as strong as genuine ones, made with poorer quality materials and will bend and buckle if you hit a small hole. That offset difference won't be noticeable.

Save up for genuine wheels.

IGL2014
02-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Aftermarket wheels aren't as strong as genuine ones, made with poorer quality materials and will bend and buckle if you hit a small hole. That offset difference won't be noticeable.

Save up for genuine wheels.

I did worry about quality. I would check for TUV approved etc before buying. I expect the majority of wheels on eBay are of Chinese origin. I wouldn't be taking my car on the track etc.

Guest 2
02-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Stick with genuine, they'll cause you less hassle. You're taking them on the road though, I wouldn't have anything chinese copy being near the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunnark100
03-11-2014, 02:08 AM
I did worry about quality. I would check for TUV approved etc before buying. I expect the majority of wheels on eBay are of Chinese origin. I wouldn't be taking my car on the track etc.

OEM are the best....still Hartman and WSP Italy replica quality are good and approved with all certs even from Audi itself!!!

JonP50
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
A lot of after market wheels are as good if not better than the mass produced OE ones. TUV approval is the best way of knowing how good they are and you need to pick a place with a good reputation to buy them from.

Talk to Chris at Tyremen in Hull, they are on the internet, but he can get his hands on just about anything and know's what he's talking about!

Jon

zollaf
03-11-2014, 04:42 PM
and a lot of aftermarket wheels are utterly terrible. hit a pothole and they bend or crack. made from poor quality alloy. genuines are much better, being made of proper metals. as an alternative you could look at some aftermarkets from a reputable company such as OZ, Lenso, etc...

JonP50
03-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Agreed, I have just had a look at their site and they do OE wheels that have, by all accounts, only been used in the factory, don't know if they come in that size, but worth a look.. 16" Audi wheels : Audi - A4 2008> | Winter Tyres & Winter Wheels Packages Available (http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/91638/16-audi-wheels--audi---a4-2008) and the list off alloys seems pretty reasonable to Alloy Wheels UK | Low Prices on Alloy Wheels (http://www.tyremen.co.uk/alloy-wheels)

IGL2014
03-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, it's looking like my best option is to go down the OEM Route. I will keep an eye on eBay and see if any descent wheels pop up.

dap1974
03-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi,
I had an issue when my car needed wheel alignment and Audi refused to work on it as it had non audi oem wheels fitted, another reason for sticking wit oem maybe....