PDA

View Full Version : Door panel removal - help??

DeeVee
21-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Morning everybody,
I'm new to the forum so please be gentle with me. My girlfriend has a 96 'P' regd 3 door Golf CL and the drivers door barrel just turns and won't lock the door and actually comes out with the key. I believe that this is a fairly common fault.
Anyway we've bought the new barrel kit but I can't for the life of me work out how the door trim comes off.:banghead:
I've managed to separate the interior door handle to find 2 screws but it's all around the periphery of the panel that I don't know how to remove.
I don't want to force anything so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
DeeVee

27motorhead
21-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi DeeVee!

I had the same problem with my lock (a known fault = broken paddle). I did post something about it a few months ago...

Anyway as far as I'm aware you shouldn't have to remove your door trim / inner panel / lining!!!

To access the lock / handle you need to open door and where the actual lock mechanism is (that strikes and locks against the door pillar) there will be a retaining screw (think it might be Torx head) which will enable the whole handle assembly to swing out.

You can then access the broken half of the paddle and swap things over.

It ain't quite as simple as that as you need to make sure the key is either fully turned clockwise or anticlockwise to make sure it all goes together well... and there's a stupid white clip that doesn't want to stay in place too :)

As you can tell, I can't remember exactly!!! Should be fairly obvious when doing it though... or if you have a Haynes manual it'll be very easy.

Make sure you don't loose the tumblers from the barrel and make sure before hand you've put them in the correct order... also plenty of grease too to allow easy operation and prevent early failure.

Sorry I can't be anymore specific or remember exact details... at least the sun is shining and you won't get wet :)

Ta!

Tim

DeeVee
23-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks a bunch for your very helpful reply, I will attempt a fix by the method you say about aking the Torx headed bolt from the side of the door which holds the handle in place.
I'm still intrigued as to how the door panel comes off.
Can anybody help me solve my frustration??:1zhelp:
Cheers
DeeVee

27motorhead
24-07-2006, 12:21 PM
DeeVee...

Good luck with removing the door handle assembly! As for the door trim panel - I've done this a fair while ago so I'll try and remember...

Unscrew 2 screws which are around the inner door handle
Remove inner cover to wing mirror - I think this just unclips
Remove lock indicator stalk - just unscrews
With flat bladed tool slide under around trim (screwdriver, blunt chisel, scraper etc.) and lever it away from the door itself - there's about 8 clips - feel around with tool and you'll locate them
The trim should pull away... BUT make sure you disconnect the connectors to the speaker and the window / mirror switches if you have them...
There's also something in my head about a strip that grips against the window itself...
Again - not a fantastic description - buy a Haynes manual and it's easy!!! Can't remember if I disconnected all the wiring before or after I popped the clips open... with the speaker you can see the recess to put in screwdriver and to removed the switch you again need a small screwdriver to lever away the handle, I think one of the mounting screws is hidden behind this which'll mean you disconnect first :)

Why do you want to remove the trim?!* Once the trim is off you'll be confronted by a membrane that's been glued to the steel door structure - this is a ******* to remove without permanent damage and should be replaced with a new one before reassembly.

Have fun!

Ta!

Tim

DeeVee
24-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Tim,
You're a star !! :notworthy
Another thorough and detailed explanation. I don't need to take the door panel off I was just curious as to how it does or should come off.
I'm sure it will be raltively plain siling now, thanks to you of course!.
Cheers mate

DeeVee:beerchug: