PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi A3 Central locking problem

hsnsolutions
22-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi there

I have recently been driving a 2001 Audi A3 1.8T. I was looking for some advice on a central locking problem the car has.
Currently the central locking doesn't work at all. if i push the unlock or lock button on the remote the alarm activates/deactivates but the central locking doesn't go up or down. if i use the key and manually lock the car then only the drivers door locks and unlocks and the alarm activates and deactivates. the passenger door needs to have the lock pushed down for the door to be locked and then you have to pull the handle to open the door. also the door lock button inside the car does nothing if you lock or unlock the doors. also the fuel cap cover doesn't lock either if you use the remote or the key manually so it is always open. the only thing that opens via the remote is the boot. but the boot wont open with the key manually. it gets stuck after the key is turned and wont unlock completely so it wiggles on the hook and you have to force it shut then use the remote to open the boot. is there anywhere i can start looking? and what do i start looking for? the batteries on the remote are fine as i can turn the alarm on and off from inside our 2 story building. but i have to be a little closer to unlock the boot.

regards
JC

hsnsolutions
22-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi all

not to worry. saw below it said similar threads and looks like my problem is like this one:
Audi A4 central locking problem (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?127733-Audi-A4-central-locking-problem)
so will look into the central locking vacuum pump.

regards
JC

Rayscriv
15-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Have the electric windows also stopped working ?
As above, it sounds like the central locking pump ( i the boot behind the LH panel)
Easy to replace, just make sure your get the exact part number.
You may also need to re-programme the keys, you will find some 'how to threads' on here.
I had a similar problem with my old A3.

Ray

win98
03-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi! The reason can be in air pump integrated in central-lock ECU or broken air tubes . Air-pump creates vacuum or pressure above 1 bar when you close or open central lock (doors and fuel cap cover lock are pneumatic). Instead of pneumatic tailgate lock is electrical. Thats why you can open/lock tailgate but cannot do it with doors and fuel cap cover.

First locate your central lock module (trunk space, left side on LH cars, may vary on RH cars). You will see air tube attached to it. Detach tube. To check if air pump or electronics is broken unlock your car with button on key and check the pressure in the air socket(lock action creates vacuum). Also some noise should be from pump. To check if air tubes are broken try to apply vacuum or pressure above 1 bar to air tube. Doors should lock(vacuum) or unlock(pressure > 1 bar).

If there are 2 air tubes attached to Central Lock ECU, one tube is for opening and other - for closing.

If air pump is broken you can try to repair it with pump similar to yours from any other Central Lock ECU.