PDA

View Full Version : Smoky '06 2.0TDi after 1st service & Oil Question

robsayles
23-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a '06 Passat 2.0TDI that's just had it's first service at 18.5k miles on the longlife schedule. Since picking it up from the dealer I've noticed that it's smoking more than it did prior to the service. It was a little smoky before (as normal, I expect) but is now definitely worse. There's also a sooty residue on the the trim above the exhaust pipes that's new. I noticed the VW deal used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 oil rather than the original Castrol 0W-30 oil. So two questions (a) any advice on the smoke (b) does anyone know if the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 oil meets the VW spec of VW 507 00 or VW 506 01?
:confused:

Quatrelle
23-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Shouldn't be any soot, and definitely not on the trim, especially as the exhaust pipes point slightly downwards.

Might be worth having a look at Shell's website for technical details of their oils

MAC
27-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Rob,

I had exactly the same problem after my 1st service a couple of months ago. I was getting a large amount of soot at every gear change / slight acceleration and had alot of soot on the bumper trim. I took it back to the dealership, told them it had only happened since the service, and they did an engine re-map to the latest edition. It seems to have done the trick at the moment, as everything seems back to normal. I also got them to carry out any re-calls whilst it was in with them.

I would do the same if I were you.

Regards

Mark

Quatrelle
27-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Rob,

I had exactly the same problem after my 1st service a couple of months ago. I was getting a large amount of soot at every gear change / slight acceleration and had alot of soot on the bumper trim. I took it back to the dealership, told them it had only happened since the service, and they did an engine re-map to the latest edition. It seems to have done the trick at the moment, as everything seems back to normal. I also got them to carry out any re-calls whilst it was in with them.

I would do the same if I were you.

Regards

MarkMark - If I were you I would be extremely unhappy (worried might be a better word) with your dealer's inability to service your car properly. For it to be returned to you in a worse condition mechanically than when it went in is bad enough, but for them to do a 'latest' re-map and have to be told to do any recalls afterwards is ludicrous.

I had a standardized recall letter from my dealer a month after I bought my TDI telling me there were two possible problems. As soon as they tapped my car's code into the computer I was told there was only one that needed doing. I'm not suggesting the sun shines out of their backsides - they seemed to want the car for much longer than I thought necessary for the couple of minor warranty problems I've had - but time will tell!

Unfortunately I can't find the link explaining the working of VW's computer network.

Regards

John

robsayles
27-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys - good advice.

I took it back to the dealer and told them that the VW505.00 (Shell) oil didn't meet the VW507.00 standard in the mauntenance handbook.

They changed the oil free of charge (to Castrol SLX LongLife II) - but did not admit that the VW505.00 oil was unsuitable saying that they'd used the 505 oil on allsorts of VWs. I couldn't believe they wouldn't admit their mistake - it was like being at QuikFit. :zx11:

I won't be using them again - if anyone's interested it was VW Blackpool.

As for the Black smoke, a 'software update' was required to avoid what apparently was a misfire. They didn't seem to understand my amazement that this should have been done at the time of the original service.

I'd expected more from dealers, but apart from the coffee machine and carpet, they still seem to be have a culture of 'tell the customer they're wrong'.:aargh4:

Slimbarry
28-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys - good advice.
I'd expected more from dealers, but apart from the coffee machine and carpet, they still seem to be have a culture of 'tell the customer they're wrong'.:aargh4:

I think it's a British thing. Honda, Seat, VW, I've had poor customer service from all three in the last year. Or maybe I should be more British by shutting up and not pointing anything out.