PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake malfunction light on A4 Avant MY12

Redcar01
13-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Parking brake malfunction light on and switch light flashing Booked into dealer in 2 weeks tim , they have had me ring Audi Assisiance to check it over. Waiting for engineer now, ids this a commn issue

Than ks

Boy
13-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Happened a couple of times to mine, but each time cured itself the following day at latest. I don't recall seeing any evidence on a VCDS scan afterwards.

Redcar01
13-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Audi assisit been out with VAS computer , only 1 instance this afternoon of it happening, he says to see how it goes.
Car was in 6 monhs ago for same issue they fixed it saying it had a short circuit but itshappened again

_tones
14-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Happened to me a couple of times too recently (over a couple months). Once, I restarted the car and all good. The second, had to drive around the block and engaged properly.

Redcar01
10-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Parking brake malfunction came on again yesterday also about 2 months ago, yesterday it didn't go off straight away took 5 mins turning engine on/off. Its going to be scanned tomorrow by a friend who has a handheld machine, hope it showing fault this time as its booked in for service and claim is authorised by warranty company as long as they find a fault or i'm paying for diagnostics. Anybody had this problem and did it show fault codes ?

Lukenkarl
10-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Where a outs in Yorkshire it's a big place. I have vcds so can scan if your local

Redcar01
10-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Hi Lukenkarl
im in Sheffield, pity i was up in Huddersfield halifax yesterday :D my work colleague has a device to look at fault codes i will find out tomorrow and post the results hope it means something to somebody
Thanks

Redcar01
15-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Colleague scanned error codes a few days ago , 2 codes for last 2 times it came up, it was something like
Right brake low resistance passive/ ?
Left brake low resistance passive/?

anybody know what the codes mean please.

chrishamer
20-10-2015, 11:20 AM
I've had a similar issue with my car. Bought a 2012 facelifted 1.8 TFSI (170) in June and have had trouble ever since.

I brought my car into West London Audi who said that the rear handbrake motor needed replacing - they did the work (which wasn't covered under warranty but I made sure Belfast Audi where I bought the car covered the £800 bill) and I had the same error driving the car home and a few times since.

At first my suspicion was that it was linked to the Hill hold assist system as if I pulled up the normal handbrake when I came to a stop and then drove off the issue was most prevalent but I'm no longer sure as it has failed whilst parking too.

It's incredibly frustrating and almost caused an accident after the system failed on a steep slope as I was parking. Unfortunately I loose hill hold assist as well as the parking brake so there's no way to do a hill start in a manual.

Anyhow, the car is booked back into West London Audi on Monday so I'll let you know if they sort it out or not. I must admit that I'm failing to see the advantage of this system against a normal handbrake in a car with a manual transmission

chrishamer
26-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Just an update for anyone that's interested, just spoke to West London Audi who have had the car booked in today. They had originally replaced the near side motor and are now replacing the offside one. Apparently that'll fix the issues I've encountered.

Ironically I think the problem is most likely to be the switch and associated electronics but we shall just follow their system I guess.

Also having the fuel filler door mechanism replaced as that's given up the ghost too...

I've had a similar issue with my car. Bought a 2012 facelifted 1.8 TFSI (170) in June and have had trouble ever since.

I brought my car into West London Audi who said that the rear handbrake motor needed replacing - they did the work (which wasn't covered under warranty but I made sure Belfast Audi where I bought the car covered the £800 bill) and I had the same error driving the car home and a few times since.

At first my suspicion was that it was linked to the Hill hold assist system as if I pulled up the normal handbrake when I came to a stop and then drove off the issue was most prevalent but I'm no longer sure as it has failed whilst parking too.

It's incredibly frustrating and almost caused an accident after the system failed on a steep slope as I was parking. Unfortunately I loose hill hold assist as well as the parking brake so there's no way to do a hill start in a manual.

Anyhow, the car is booked back into West London Audi on Monday so I'll let you know if they sort it out or not. I must admit that I'm failing to see the advantage of this system against a normal handbrake in a car with a manual transmission

Redcar01
28-10-2015, 12:21 AM
My car was in for service and due to electronic handbrake fault no problem found . service done no bill for diagnostics for handbrake fault no problem found. they actually fixed rear washer no bill for washer or diagnostics ......top Audi dealership Sheffield Audi for keeping customer happy

chrishamer
28-10-2015, 10:14 AM
My car was in for service and due to electronic handbrake fault no problem found . service done no bill for diagnostics for handbrake fault no problem found. they actually fixed rear washer no bill for washer or diagnostics ......top Audi dealership Sheffield Audi for keeping customer happy

That was lucky - unfortunately no such luck here.

Went to pick up my A4 this morning at the ungodly hour of 7am and was told they'd replaced the other rear handbreak motor as well as the fuel filler door under warranty.

Got into my car to drive off and guess what - system failed as I tried to drive off...
I must be jinxed or something.

Spoke to the service manager as well as the service guy that was dealing with this appointment and after a few apologies and some very confused looks, they said that they've never seen a fault like this before.

Oddly today was the first time that re-starting the car didn't clear the fault and the warning and flashing parking break symbol remained.

Guess it'll be wait and see as to how things progress - still a total pain as I really want my A4 back. Guess I'll let you all know incase that helps.

The A3 Cab they've given me is nice but it's the noisiest car I've ever driven

Redcar01
28-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Well.....rear washer was fixed but now when i use rear washer it fills the tailgate with water so back i go in the morning i expect its a pipe come off

chrishamer
29-10-2015, 01:38 PM
That was lucky - unfortunately no such luck here.

Went to pick up my A4 this morning at the ungodly hour of 7am and was told they'd replaced the other rear handbreak motor as well as the fuel filler door under warranty.

Got into my car to drive off and guess what - system failed as I tried to drive off...
I must be jinxed or something.

Spoke to the service manager as well as the service guy that was dealing with this appointment and after a few apologies and some very confused looks, they said that they've never seen a fault like this before.

Oddly today was the first time that re-starting the car didn't clear the fault and the warning and flashing parking break symbol remained.

Guess it'll be wait and see as to how things progress - still a total pain as I really want my A4 back. Guess I'll let you all know incase that helps.

The A3 Cab they've given me is nice but it's the noisiest car I've ever driven

Right then, another update from me.

Just spoke to the guys at West London Audi again.

Apparently they've been in touch with Audi centrally as they wanted a full technical report from them.

The consensus is that they're now going to replace the electronic control module for the handbrake system, so just waiting for warranty authorization (which I've been promised is just a formality) for them to get going. They then want to keep the car for an extended, extended test (they already did an overnight one before I got the car back so I'm sure this will be quite thorough).

So then, the parts done so far, near side and offside parking brake motors and now the control module, if they don't fix it with this god knows what it'll be next? Calipers?

chrishamer
09-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Right then, another update from me.

Just spoke to the guys at West London Audi again.

Apparently they've been in touch with Audi centrally as they wanted a full technical report from them.

The consensus is that they're now going to replace the electronic control module for the handbrake system, so just waiting for warranty authorization (which I've been promised is just a formality) for them to get going. They then want to keep the car for an extended, extended test (they already did an overnight one before I got the car back so I'm sure this will be quite thorough).

So then, the parts done so far, near side and offside parking brake motors and now the control module, if they don't fix it with this god knows what it'll be next? Calipers?

Hopefully a final update from me.

One week after getting my car back I have no further issues to report on my parking brake.

It seems that replacing the control module has finally cured the issues.

Not sure if that'll help anyone else but just thought I'd add that the resolution seems successful.