PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement advice

apole
12-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Picked up a crack in my windscreen yesterday.

I'm a bit nervous about getting it replaced as had bad experience in the past. Also weather isn't so good this time of year.

With Direct Line and all their information lists autoglass which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Can I choose who fixes it and would an audi dealer change the windscreen or just sub it out?

I'm concerned the job may not be done well or lead to other things such as a fault with auto wipers etc

Any advice gratefully received. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing and all will be fine.

Lukenkarl
12-10-2014, 04:18 PM
You normally pay extra excess if you use your own. I would imagine Audi would use oem screen but sub out the fitting.
i need one myself so will watch this post with interest.

Guest 2
12-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Genuine screen, previous threads have shown people have had issues with non oe screens.

apole
12-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys,

OK quick update. Read my policy. Basically autoglass with me paying £75, or anywhere else they only pay first £125. That means AG. Just called them up, they act as agent for insurance so buck stops with insurer if it goes wrong.

Anyway, asked a few questions like is it genuine screen or aftermarket, what about weather, do they cover operation of rain sensor etc. Now lady I spoke with said screen will be the same, vans have awnings but if really bad weather they reschedule. Next step is dealing with local branch who will do repair. I've seen on net if you have a fancy screen good chance genuine, and if not you could pay a bit extra for genuine one. Against that I guess it is down to who you deal with, and also what they can get hold of in a reasonable time.

Anyway, will keep notes of all this, and take photos of car in and out around screen before work commences in case something goes wrong. May also do a quick VCDS scan and keep log.

Got fingers crossed it will all go okay, but tbh I'm often very unlucky with such things.

Keep you posted.

Andy

B5NUT
12-10-2014, 06:30 PM
From my experience at working at the Audi dealerships they sub out the screen replacements. You can call the windscreen company and request a genuine screen, I always have in the past and always got an Audi branded screen.

The Glassman
12-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Hi,

Picked up a crack in my windscreen yesterday.

I'm a bit nervous about getting it replaced as had bad experience in the past. Also weather isn't so good this time of year.

With Direct Line and all their information lists autoglass which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Can I choose who fixes it and would an audi dealer change the windscreen or just sub it out?

I'm concerned the job may not be done well or lead to other things such as a fault with auto wipers etc

Any advice gratefully received. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing and all will be fine.

This is a conversation which needs to take place before policy inception. If you're not happy with their nominated repairers, you choose another insurer.

Choosing the cheapest quote usually restricts your choice, as you're finding out.

All the 'lady on the phone' has confirmed is that the windscreen you're about to get in your car is for an Audi; it'll look like an Audi windscreen and it will perform like an Audi windscreen. I guess it's a bit like McVities Digestives; I love them, but the missus sometimes gets the knock-off supermarket ones, you know, they have similar packaging; the biscuits are round (just like the originals) and they have 'DIGESTIVE' written on them (just like the originals). The kids don't know the difference, so it's 'every little helps' on the weekly spend.

MarkTM
12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
I've always got Jaguar windscreens on the 2 ocassions I needed it from Autoglass

Had one non-audi one and no problems, but it was replacing a non-audi screen with which I had no problems (apart from the crack) in 18 months of driving.

Plus I can now use screen coatings (aquapel/fog-ex) on non-OEM ones (since Audi says not to on theirs) :biglaugh:

gupsterg
12-10-2014, 08:01 PM
AG won't give screen with the VAG stamp or P/N, they give equivalent, I had this when I got mine done.

They gave FY screen Link:- Who has non audi stamped windscreen? - Page 3 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?148353-Who-has-non-audi-stamped-windscreen&p=829598#post829598)

They broke the trim which resides on mirror backside covering the sensor, etc and gave car back with it hanging half, insurer compensated me plus new trim.

They also asked if I'd like another screen but thought I don't want disgruntled employees working on car and left it.

Why I think I got money besides the trim was wording of insurance, it stated to use AG but didn't state they'd use non VAG stamp screen. I've had no issues in past year, I also went to audi dealer and surprise surprise new models had FY screens with stamp.

apole
19-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Well. No progress to report. Booked last Tuesday then cancelled due to sickness 30 mins beforehand. Rebooked for today. Showed up but brought wrong screen. Marvellous. They run 5 hour slots which is a tad inconvenient too.

So fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky this Wednesday!

apole
22-10-2014, 04:11 PM
OK update time.

AG arrived, decent chap doing the work. Took time to check car over for existing damage and all things related working OK.

Did a good job of explaining process etc, and confirming I did have the correct reflective glass this time around.

Job took about an hour, new screen looked very thick. Job done, no mess, even put up my discrete dash cam which is stuck to glass by mirror in tinted strip.

So overall so far very impressed. Not driven car yet but all looks good.

They fitted a non Audi branded screen from Guardian. Did some checking and it looks to be a German company, and from the markings it is reflective, denoted by an E9 stamp according to my research.

So all in well pleased, job done neatly, no damage or mess I can see. Only minor niggle was NS wiper remounted a bit high so you could see, easy to pop off and move slightly back to where it was before.

Shame it took 3 goes but in the end job seems to have been done very well, and I think I have a good make of screen.

Keep you posted if anything comes up. ;)

The Glassman
22-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Guardian. Did some checking and it looks to be a German company

https://www.guardian.com/europe/AboutGuardian/Basics/History/index.htm

apole
22-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Only a few miles out then .... :D

MarkTM
22-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Not that far:

https://www.guardian.com/europe/GuardianAutomotive/index.htm

"We ship directly from our factories and warehouses in Germany"

The Glassman
22-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Not that far:

Guardian Automotive Glass Solutions (https://www.guardian.com/europe/GuardianAutomotive/index.htm)

"We ship directly from our factories and warehouses in Germany"

A lot of the AGR lines are manufactured in Spain.

:boggled:

Lukenkarl
23-10-2014, 04:09 PM
They have a massive factory in Goole. Even has its own train line for delivery and export

apole
23-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Hey guys,

Driven car now and the screen creaks alot on the nearside. Going to have to call them back to take a look. Any idea what it could be, is the screen maybe misaligned and touching metal where it should be sitting in the rubber seal it has all around the edge of the glass.

Shame as it looks good, just makes alot of noise.

MarkTM
24-10-2014, 07:58 AM
My car had a screen replacement from previous owner and had excessive mastic/silicone at both lower corners, when mine needed a replacement last year the AG guy said it was prudent to do so again as it was clearly there for a reason. He also found an oblong of foam in the centre lower between dash and glass that was replaced and no squeaks a year on.

Did yours find/did you see anything like this on yours?

apole
24-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Hi Mark,

I only saw the new screen when it came out the van and was being prepared. It had a rubber seal around the outer edge. No sign of any mastic now it's all in. All I can see is a small mark on the lower corner a bit like the black backing is coming away from the glass. It sounds to me like the edge of the glass is touching metal and as you drive it is scraping around, like the noise you get if you scrape a shovel or your nails down a blackboard - nasty !

Contacted AG last night as was concerned it is doing damage, could leak and or crack and then I'm expected to pay again.

No sign of damp so far.

Also raining on way back and the auto wipers not the same as before so could be an issue there as well. Want to ensure screen is clean first as any smudging could affect that.

Waiting for a call back.

Lukenkarl
24-10-2014, 11:25 AM
I am having a replacement today..gulp!

MarkTM
24-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Luke, best to stay and watch them do it, as opposed to leaving them to their own devices.

Andy mine was only replaced this year and also guardian glass, but mastic was used as well as fitter said it squeaks less...and guess what no noise from mine! :)

apole
24-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Good to know Mark,

If your windscreen goes missing it was nothing to do with me :D

Rang AG earlier, sending an inspector round next Tuesday with new windscreen in case they need to refit.

apole
25-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Luke, how did it go, all good I hope?

Lukenkarl
25-10-2014, 06:20 PM
All good thanks. Two guys from a local fitting service. Didn't use the insurance. £206 inc vat for pilkington screen. Business paid for it so not directly out of my pocket and I will get the vat back