PDA

View Full Version : Dilema: to remap a car within warranty

ac606
01-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Picking up a '61 plate 3.0tdi this week. My old a6,a4 and x5 have all been remapped by Angel, results have been great. All these cars were outside their warranty period so I wasn't too concerned. This time the a6 carries a years dealer warranty. To add to that, I believe the ecu is protected on the 61 plate so it's not just a simple case of plug in and remap, it's more evolved.
I am aware that audi will know it has been remapped and they would try their hardest to use this as an excuse to void the warranty should I need it. So, it may be a bit of a gamble. Interested in other peoples experience of remapping whilst in warranty, any come back from audi??

Guest 2
01-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Dilemma? There is no dilemma and it's a simple no.

Remaps are all traceable and it's now all automatic when plugged into their computers and warranty claims will be null and void from that point onwards.

Whippy53
01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Of course you may be lucky and not need to invoke the warranty.

Guest 2
01-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Of course you may be lucky and not need to invoke the warranty.

On a 3ltr he will ;)

Whippy53
01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Ouch.

ac606
01-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I hope not. The last 3.0tdi was absolutely faultless for 6 years apart from a knackered earth relay thingie in the boot that corroded.
Technically warranties can only be voided with proof that that the modification caused the fault. In reality they will try their hardest to claim the remap was the reason for any any all faults.... Ive seen this in the past when lomond audi tried to suggest retrofitted xenon lights caused a major engine fault. Hmm.....

Guest 2
01-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Google TD1. At the end of the day if you map the car you take the risk of them saying no. You've modified the car from the original software provided by the manufacturer so why would they still honour the warranty?

Brycie
01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Only conceivable way to do it would to be getting Audi to do it themselves officially (I believe JimC64 had his done by Audi within the warranty). It may, for argument's sake cost double, say £800 where a decent independent remap may be about £400, but the first time you need to have something done under warranty, it could very easily be more than a £400 job, cancelling out the difference.

donaldscally
06-10-2014, 08:16 PM
When we got our new 2012 Q7 I enquired about getting a dealer remap and was told it would invalidate the warranty, which I was surprised to here. At £1000 I would have thought I was also buying a bit of extra insurance but apparently not. They did say it would only invalidate anything directly linked to the remap, turbo, injectors etc. I did get my 2003 vw passat 1.9 done about 7 years ago without any issues but it's not the same engine nor cost anything like as much so I'm still pondering getting it done on the Q7 myself.

Brycie
06-10-2014, 08:24 PM
That surprises me. Thanks for the input.

donaldscally
06-10-2014, 08:34 PM
My experience from the passat is that it made a massive difference, fuel economy, torque, throttle response are all better. I don't drive aggressively, so I don't put a huge strain on components all the time, that could help with the reliability I've had so far(probably blow up tomorrow :-( ). We drive the Q7 in the same way so hopefully it would be a reliable.

Guest 2
06-10-2014, 08:36 PM
The old B5 Passat will long outlive any modern common rail engine.

bigslope
09-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I had the same decision to make.
Just before I pulled the trigger my EGR Cooler packed it. Audi had the car for 15 days fixing it and boy was i glad i had not got the remap done as i would have had to foot the bill.
Saying that I got a Revo remap done about 3 weeks later and never looked back.

You pay your money you take your chance