PDA

View Full Version : A3 Tdi 2.0 140 drumming noise from rear

rob1platt
28-09-2014, 08:52 PM
I've just bought an 06 plate 140 BHP A3 on about 83000 miles, which is great except for a drumming noise coming from the rear. It get louder in a left hand turn which leads me to suspect a wheel bearing but it is a drumming, not a whining. It is definitely related to road speed not engine speed as the frequency stays the same whether at 3000rpm or at idle with the clutch depressed. The noise becomes apparent at about 40 mph and seems to be at its loudest at about 45-50 mph. There is no vibration through either the car or the steering as otherwise, I would have suspected a flat spotted tyre or a wheel out of balance. Anyone got any ideas? Could it be a stone in the brakes or something like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated as its spoiling an otherwise brilliant car.

MRSP2
30-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I've just bought an 06 plate 140 BHP A3 on about 83000 miles, which is great except for a drumming noise coming from the rear. It get louder in a left hand turn which leads me to suspect a wheel bearing but it is a drumming, not a whining. It is definitely related to road speed not engine speed as the frequency stays the same whether at 3000rpm or at idle with the clutch depressed. The noise becomes apparent at about 40 mph and seems to be at its loudest at about 45-50 mph. There is no vibration through either the car or the steering as otherwise, I would have suspected a flat spotted tyre or a wheel out of balance. Anyone got any ideas? Could it be a stone in the brakes or something like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated as its spoiling an otherwise brilliant car.

I had a similar problem with my 2.0 TDI 170. Drumming from the rear off-side increasing as road speed increased. The inside of the off-side rear tyre had worn unevenly, changed the tyre and it now runs quietly as it should. Local tyre dealers said this isn't uncommon with some modern wide tyre fitments, it appears the tyre wears unevenly due to rotational speed diferential between inside and outside edge of tyre when cornering. My issue may not be similar to yours but its worth a look and feel around the tyre edges.

alankru
01-10-2014, 07:33 PM
I had a similar problem with my 2.0 TDI 170. Drumming from the rear off-side increasing as road speed increased. The inside of the off-side rear tyre had worn unevenly, changed the tyre and it now runs quietly as it should. Local tyre dealers said this isn't uncommon with some modern wide tyre fitments, it appears the tyre wears unevenly due to rotational speed diferential between inside and outside edge of tyre when cornering. My issue may not be similar to yours but its worth a look and feel around the tyre edges.
That's very true actually...particular tread patterns can also cause this, in particular directional tyres. Also, having a 4 wheel computerised alignment performed is very beneficial as the rear wheels tend to go out of alignment (Align My Car (http://alignmycar.co.uk))

rob1platt
08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
It has been diagnosed as a rear wheel bearing which shall be changed tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice though.