PDA

View Full Version : iphone 4s case to fit cradle

johng007
24-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi, have scoured the forums and found people asking the question but as yet not spotted the answer ...

Just bought my 2010 A4 3.0 TDi. Very happy with it. It has a phone cradle for the iphone 4s and well chuffed that my phone works in it........ BUT only after I spent 5 mins of all sorts of contortions getting my phone case off without actually breaking it. Controlled fury barely describes it:mad:.

So as I deffo want to avoid scratching my nearly 3 yr old, still immaculate iphone 4s, or use extender cables, has anybody successfully bought a case/skin that will still allow the cradle to be used with my phone suitably clothed?

(seen all the flames about cradle too expensive / use a 12v charger etc. .... I have a working cradle and do not want additional cables everywhere! Also bought an ipod off fleabay and put in the glovebox, SD card in SD slot. BH, it all works!!!)

Eshrules
24-09-2014, 01:48 PM
The lack of answer I think will be because what you want isn't possible.

Whether it's an iphone or any other phone in the market, you'll find cradles that are designed for a particular phone won't allow for cases, given the million different designs that will be out there.

The only way to use a phone cradle and retain your case will be to find a decent universal fitting - or ditch the case.

I don't know what the BH abbreviation means.

johng007
24-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Bl***y H**l !

rafletcher
24-09-2014, 02:00 PM
As above. No car cradle I've ever used would accommodate a case unless it was some aftermarket offering that required a separate cable to connect to the phone. I use my phone cased and with a lightning charging lead fed from the 12v socket in the armrest area. Works for me and phone is out of sight. Cradle is for business user who's phones are tools not precious possessions. Anyways a 4S is getting a bit long in the tooth now to worry about scratching it :-)

johng007
24-09-2014, 02:21 PM
OK OK. Half-way house then - is there a short extension cable that is fully functional - I mean still uses the car aerial - that I could leave attached to the cradle plug?
(I live in the sticks with poor reception around the area / cancer sufferer who avoids the avoidable EM radiation wherever possible now).
Fingers crossed I don't resurrect the old flames about whether or not the cradle uses car aerial.

Eshrules
24-09-2014, 02:27 PM
OK OK. Half-way house then - is there a short extension cable that is fully functional - I mean still uses the car aerial - that I could leave attached to the cradle plug?
(I live in the sticks with poor reception around the area / cancer sufferer who avoids the avoidable EM radiation wherever possible now).
Fingers crossed I don't resurrect the old flames about whether or not the cradle uses car aerial.

why not just remove the existing cradle and fit a universal one with a power cable attached?

Or does your iphone not work without the car aerial?

I know iphones had their issues with poor (zero) reception, but I thought the genius squad had fixed that?

rafletcher
24-09-2014, 02:35 PM
cancer sufferer who avoids the avoidable EM radiation wherever possible now).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your car is awash with EM radiation. I used to put my HRM on before I drove to the gym. The EMR swamped it as soon as I turned on the ignition and HR went haywire. A mobile on bluetooth wont add significantly to it. Obs the poor signal issue will still b there so buy the universal cradle for £95 and charge separately as suggested.

johng007
24-09-2014, 02:37 PM
"I live in the sticks with poor reception around the area / cancer sufferer who avoids the avoidable EM radiation wherever possible now..."

I'm sorry but I was led to believe in other posts using the cradle reduces radiation from the phone within the car. I am wishing I had not carried my phones around in my trouser pocket all these years now...
I was also led to believe from other posts that the cradle will use the external car aerial and improve reception.

johng007
24-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Sorry - crossed posts.
Thanks.

rafletcher
24-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Universal Audi cradle will use aerial on car. Look at Stoke Audi online shop for info

johng007
29-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Would have gone for the universal cradle but risked buying a cheapie £1.89 slim case and it worked in the cradle! Result!
Case may not last long but at least provides protection from the worst of scratches, much better than no case at all and now I know so long as case is slim I have a solution.
Thanks for all your advice guys.