PDA

View Full Version : golf vr6 juddering randomly when warm

Igotapoorlyvr6
21-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi, i recently bought a mk3 golf vr6 and was loving the drive and power until a couple of weeks ago it developed a problem. The car starts fine and drives perfectly when cold, it then gets up to a temperature of about 70-75 on the temp guage, after being warm for around 10 mins it starts to go very juddery as if it is dropping a cylinder or going into 'limp mode'. I lose all power. The thing is, this only happens for a split second, then it will be fine for a few seconds then it will do it for 4 seconds and so on. Some times it does it constantly for a few minutes, then it clears up entirely only to start again a few mins down the road. Ive seen a few posts suggesting the MAF sensor and coils etc, but none of the other threads fit exactly to what my car is doing, i dont mind paying to get it fixed im not tight with money, but i dont want to spend 100's even 1000's of pounds searching for a problem that might be easliy fixed. I hope someone can help as im pulling my hair out over it!!

Many thanks, Rik

Crasher
21-09-2007, 09:40 PM
More than likely a HT fault with plugs leads and coil pack being the first place to start. I take it this is a later VR6 such as 94 ish onwards?

Igotapoorlyvr6
21-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the help i'll have to try it and keep my fingers crossed! Yea its on an 'M' plate, i have been told that it could be the coil pack but was a bit unsure as it only does it when warm. Is there anyway i could test the coil pack or is it a case of replacing it and hoping for the best?

Thanks, Rik

russvr6
22-09-2007, 12:25 PM
hello mate, as a mechanic and vr6 owner im 90% sure it will be the coil pack as coil packs only start to break down when engines are warm. Iv worked on previous cars that have ths problem but when they are cold they run fine.

Crasher
22-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Agreed, and there is no test to check the coil pack other than by replacing it. From VW they are stupid money but GSF sell a Beru part which is fine.

Igotapoorlyvr6
22-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys, i'll let you know how i get on!!