PDA

View Full Version : Passat Gearbox Failure

shepton00
21-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Has anyone else suffered a gearbox failure on there B6 yet?

My 2.0TDI 140 has just limped into the dealer with what they reckon is a flywhel and gearbox failure. It's only 2 years old and done 72k surely that isn't right. The dealer is telling me that it's out of waranty due to the milege and want to charge me £230 just to have a look at it? So much for VW reliability then.
What should my next course of action be and what should I do to get VW to foot some of the cost?

Al help greatfully recieved
Cheers

DSGboy
21-09-2007, 08:04 PM
i seem to remember some sort of VW/Skoda fly wheel recall not so long ago - worth having a look around.

Quatrelle
21-09-2007, 08:16 PM
i seem to remember some sort of VW/Skoda fly wheel recall not so long ago - worth having a look around.Try here:
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

carl s
21-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Usually if it's just out of warranty there is a certain amount of goodwill with manufacturers where they agree to cover some of the cost. Call VW customer service and make a fuss !

You're right, 72k is nothing for a gearbox most cars rot before the box itself gives up.

Quatrelle
01-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Passat gearbox problems at 70,000 miles have now found their way onto HonestJohn's website:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=759&

shepton00
02-10-2007, 08:49 PM
That's good to know, I contacted Honest John last week in my disgust at VW. After the guys told me to check the recalls I did just that and lo and behold there it is, flywhel recall and my chassis number is slap bang in the middle. VW took a week to ring me back only to tell me that they weren't willing to put any goodwill into the repairs as my car doesn't have a FVWSH, which it does by the way. I told them to look in the service book as the 20k was done in Manc and not Wakefield. They then told me that they didn't have a national computer that checks sevices and mileages??? and that's where they got there infomation from (VW that is. The VW that sells cars all round the world doesn't have a national computer!!!!). They're sending another mail to VW to see what they say regarding this little oversite. I also mentioned the recall, The girl on the phone had no comeback at all for that one so thanks again chaps.

Just as an aside I popped in during the week to see what they were doing and it was then that I found my 20 grand car at the back of the carpark in the rain with the drivers window down and the bonnet wide open. Now that's customer service for you.

Also they didn't have a car for me to borrow and the one they did give me is now out of tax. Well done lads

I was looking at the new Scirocco in Auto Express this week and I really want one but I just feel that I can't by another car fo then as I feel totally let down. Am I they only one who gets this feeling that their customer service is rubbish?

carl s
02-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Just as an aside I popped in during the week to see what they were doing and it was then that I found my 20 grand car at the back of the carpark in the rain with the drivers window down and the bonnet wide open. Now that's customer service for you.

I hope you went back in and tore several strips off the service manager for this? If you don't have any luck with VW contact Citizens advice. I'm sure the consumers association would also be quite interested to know about a modern mainstream car like this having such a big failure just out of warrenty.

shepton00
27-10-2007, 05:43 PM
VW offered to pay 65% and weren't moving so I got the work done in the end although they are claiming that the the main baring in the gearbox failed and not the flywheel.

Well she back and fixed but what a hastle from JCT600 in Wakefield.

They had the car for nearly 4 weeks then ring me to say that the car is ready and that they have replaced the gearbox, clutch and flywheel although there was nothing wrong with that remember!!

When they rang thy said that there were a few things that needed doing, the usual ploy by this particular dealer. This time it was a new tyre £195 if you will and a new CV outer boot £146 ??? I said no. and they said that I could pick it up asap. So off I went.

When I got there they came up with a total that was more than the quote I'd had several days before. I paid the quote amount. Then they told me that the car was just round the side in bay 6 and that they'd washed and valeted it. No they hadn't, when I finally found it, at the back of the dealership it was filthy, smelt of damp and hadn't been touched inside, it still had the paper and the seat protectors in it. JCT600 are so useless. I was so mad that my wife told me not to go back in and complain but just to go home and have a cuppa.

So well see what happens. One thing I have noticed is that the fuel consumption has improved, 53 on the way to London on Friday up from the usual 46ish

Has nyone else had "issues" with JCT600???

carl s
29-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Ouch, that isn't good either on service, or the fact that such a new car needed a new gearbox.

Pauloz
29-10-2007, 11:33 PM
It is entirely possible that the gearbox failure damaged the clutch and flywheel... and while theyre there, it does make sense to change them just in case as flywheel damage especially is difficult to spot, let alone to be sure of. Having said that, I doubt VW would have changed the flywheel if they were swallowing the whole lot.....

Not good customer service at all generally.

Pauloz
30-10-2007, 08:56 AM
i seem to remember some sort of VW/Skoda fly wheel recall not so long ago - worth having a look around.
The recal wasnt because of functional issues tho bud - was safety. The back of the flywheel was magnesium, and in a few cases caught fire I beleive. Burning magnesium isnt the best thing to have under ya bonnet ;)