PDA

View Full Version : Longer starting when engine hot and knock noise

chrisvrscrx
11-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Hi

My 56 1.9tdi is good with a couple of problems.

I replaced the oil today and had a look round. When it's at slow speed and I apply the brake I get a knock noise. If I reverse then brake it's the same.

Also so when starting the engine when hot it turns over a few more times before firing. Still fires and has never not started.

paulski
15-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi

Slow starting is due to fuel not being injected below cranking speeds of 270rpm. If your starter motor is getting on a bit, this will be the cause, replace it and all will be well again. Mines (55 plate) being doing this for several years now, i just live with.

Rob69
17-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I had this with a polo and cheap pads. Check your pads for looseness in the carrier brackets, pads rocking up / down in forward then reverse. Could be brackets worn if high miler or poor fitting pads if non oem or missing anti rattle springs. Could also be worn caliper sliding pins or loose caliper bolts depending on front or rear calipers. Worth checking out and finding cause for peace of mind though.

Doctle Odd
17-11-2014, 11:43 PM
diesel warm start problems (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?115668-diesel-warm-start-problems&highlight=warm+start)