PDA

View Full Version : Question Changing oil (ATF) in multitronic gearbox

eugesandy
08-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi!

My audi is due it's 38,000 mile service, and the Audi Service Schedule (manual thing) states that I have to change my 'oil (ATF) in multitronic gearbox'. This doesn't come as standard when I get my car serviced.

Anyone else have any experience with this? It costs around £150 to do and it's simple enough but is this that necessary?

Thanks!

zollaf
08-09-2014, 05:18 PM
no, not required at all, just run it until the box blows up, then fit a new one.
if however you want to save money, pay them to change the oil , as per the service schedule, and your box will last a lot longer and cost you less.
why do you think its part of the service ? and if its that easy, why not do it yourself.

eugesandy
08-09-2014, 05:38 PM
no, not required at all, just run it until the box blows up, then fit a new one.
if however you want to save money, pay them to change the oil , as per the service schedule, and your box will last a lot longer and cost you less.
why do you think its part of the service ? and if its that easy, why not do it yourself.

So, in other words, I should wait until it blows up then replace it myself?? I'm talking about the atf oil here...

zollaf
08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
no i was being a bit sarcastic. read up on multitronic gearboxes for a start. get the oil changed on the service. its a complicated procedure to get it to the correct level. its not atf gear oil, its a bit special.many indis won't do them, preferring to send people to a dealer.

Scott K
08-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Get it done. Anyone in the know wouldn't touch a multitronic if the oil changes haven't been carried out. There are many threads on here about problems with the gearbox and how expensive it can be (will be). Also, all the buying guides tell people to walk away from any car that hasn't had it done. Up to you but cheap if it avoids the problems.

eugesandy
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys, I will get it done at a garage.

But I am a little confused. I know it is just an 'academic' issue but why isnt the ATF gear oil the one I need??

rafletcher
09-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Cos that's not the type of oil Audi uses....