PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Cars Broken Again!

F4TCT
03-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I wrote a few weeks ago about the fuel system failure on my 2010 3.0tdi A4. This is now all sorted, pity its cost me £8400...

I had the car back a week and I had to do an emergency stop, immediately I got a gearbox malfunction warning lamp up... (i have the 7 speed s tronic)

It went off and then came back on and then went off. did this a few times over a few days until it got undrivable because the car knocks the gearbox into limp mode. It does this when I need power the most to get out of junctions etc.

Anyway, went into audi 2 weeks ago and they have only just had a look at it - and charged for it.

They are mentioning it may be the gearbox controller (i assume the mechatronic unit). Ive heard there are many issues with the units on my model of car.

Also heard that this isn't a cheap fix. How the hell can performing an emergency stop do this? The car isnt even 5 years old and its a tad under 60,000 miles.

Having just ploughed £8400 into the car to repair the fuel system, am i seriously expected to cough up another 5k... someones taking the **** somewhere.

Help Anyone?

Dan

Doctle Odd
03-09-2014, 11:20 PM
What did they do to the fuel system that cost over 8 grand? When a car is out of warranty it's usually a good idea to get several quotes before committing to having the work done, Indies can be surprisingly reasonable and are highly skilled.

F4TCT
04-09-2014, 06:55 AM
What did they do to the fuel system that cost over 8 grand? When a car is out of warranty it's usually a good idea to get several quotes before committing to having the work done, Indies can be surprisingly reasonable and are highly skilled.

Replaced every single part of it bar the tank.....

High pressure pump failed leading to metal swarf from the pump all over the engine.

Worst car ive ever owned...

Alan02
04-09-2014, 10:26 PM
They replaced everything as a precaution against further damage in the future. You could have took a chance with a new pump and a flush of the lines and tank etc, but its risky. I'm not giving a lecture by the way ! ;)
Try a second opinion on the box issue.

F4TCT
04-09-2014, 10:29 PM
They got back to me today.

Apparently its the gearbox control unit. Its something related to the mechatronic unit apparently. Eitherway they want £1300 to sort it.

Been onto Audi customer service to see what they can arrange.

Worst car ive ever bought.

To think I was contemplating spending 80k on a spec'd up A6!

To hell with that.

Dan

111laz111
05-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Real shame!
I've owned many Audis over the past 5 years with no trouble to speak of.
OK, they have been quite new but my current A4 2008 will be a good test for me re reliability/cost of ownership etc.
I wouldnt blame you for moving onto Merc/BMW now.

Crazyfool
06-09-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm in the same boat. Not the same issue and luckily for me not so much of an outlay because I gave Audi Uk absolute stink, but I've now had two Audis bought from almost brand new...and they're money pits. I've had Audis for 12 years now and the only reliable one I've had is my 18 year old convertible which is still going strong.

I was going to buy an A6, but now I'm considering an E-Class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magt1000
07-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I feel for you guys that have had major issues. I now have 168k on the clock and this is a recap of what has gone wrong with my car during its lifetime and the approx cost:

Key lock in dashboard - 34k - replaced under warranty
Fuel filler cap cover latch - 45k - replaced under warranty
Single track in heated rear windscreen failed - 50k - replaced under warranty
DPF sensor failure - 65k - replaced under warranty (still under three years old)
New clutch and DMF - 85k - work carried out by Indy for approx £1000
Front brake pads - 115k - £159
Rear brake discs and pads - 140k - £309
Front offside wheel bearing - 155k - £250
Emission control warning light on dash and traced to throttle flap leaking oil, replaced - 167k - £350

Always serviced by an Audi dealer and work carried out as recommended.

bigslope
08-09-2014, 08:10 AM
I have had my 3.0 Tdi Avant for 1 year now. I bought it 4 yrs old from Belfast Audi. Thankfully i got a years warranty with it as the following has failed.
EGR Cooler ( Audi had car for 12 days)
Indicator stalk
Wiper Stalk
Front wheel bearing (after hitting a kerb)
MMI Screen replaced
fuel filler flap lock

Love the car and have it Revo remapped but as the warranty is now up i am dreading anything going wrong with it.

spitz
08-09-2014, 09:45 AM
I feel for you guys that have had major issues. I now have 168k on the clock and this is a recap of what has gone wrong with my car during its lifetime and the approx cost:

DPF sensor failure - 65k - replaced under warranty (still under three years old)
Emission control warning light on dash and traced to throttle flap leaking oil, replaced - 167k - £350

That last issue in your list magt1000 caught my eye. We have just had the exact same problem (A4 B8 Avant, 58 reg, at around 65k) and was quoted over £400 for the replacement part. I was therefore very happy (not to say relieved !) to be able to remind the dealer that the car was still under its extended warranty, after which the repair was carried out free of charge. Also, our car had just been serviced at the same dealer, which may or may not be relevant (problem occurred the day after the service was completed). We have also had other work done under warranty including a dash info panel failure and the infamous fuel filler flap lock problem. So yes, reliability seems not to be a strong point with this particular car (our 2000 Volvo V70 classic on the other hand........;) )

Like many others though we love the car and intend keeping it a while longer, just fingers crossed we don't get more expensive problems once the warranty runs out (this month :nervous: )

gregpot2000
09-09-2014, 10:21 AM

A lot of those are wear and tear items, complaining about needing to change brake discs and pads is likely complaining your car needed new tyres. Nothing has gone "wrong" with the brakes, they simply reached the end of their life as brakes do

rafletcher
09-09-2014, 12:17 PM
A lot of those are wear and tear items, complaining about needing to change brake discs and pads is likely complaining your car needed new tyres. Nothing has gone "wrong" with the brakes, they simply reached the end of their life as brakes do

But those (brakes & pads) are the only "wear & tear" items. The rest are all failures, witness the number fixed under warranty. And FWW I don't think the OP was "complaining" at all.

magt1000
10-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Fair Point, I shouldn't have mentioned those wear and tear items in the same breath as the other issues. Actually, to have only replaced that limited number of wear and tear items after the mileage I have done is not bad going. I would not include the clutch/DMF replacement as wear and tear though because on inspection after removal the clutch material was not worn and the issue appeared to be with the pressure plate spring.

zollaf
10-09-2014, 07:55 PM
the guy has just had to fork out 8 grand to fix his car, if he wants to moan about some discs and pads then let him moan. in fact, he can moan about having to replace a lightbulb if he wants.

Doctle Odd
10-09-2014, 08:03 PM
the guy has just had to fork out 8 grand to fix his car, if he wants to moan about some discs and pads then let him moan. in fact, he can moan about having to replace a lightbulb if he wants.

I wish I could replace the wife with a part number 36-24-36

zollaf
10-09-2014, 08:07 PM
i don't think in all my 25 years of buying cars that i have actually spent 8k in total.
anyway a good part number for a good wife is surely 69-69-69

Doctle Odd
10-09-2014, 08:08 PM
or as the doggers say 72 - 69 with 3 blokes watching

zollaf
10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
always makes me chuckle why vag use ina. the two seem to go so well together, but thats another thread altogether.

Doctle Odd
10-09-2014, 08:19 PM
always makes me chuckle why vag use ina. the two seem to go so well together, but thats another thread altogether.

You're in sparkling form tonight Zol

Doctle Odd
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM
You just have to be careful a slip of the tongue can leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

zollaf
10-09-2014, 08:25 PM
on a promise mate. she has promised to be fast asleep before i come to bed.

Crazyfool
11-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Fair Point, I shouldn't have mentioned those wear and tear items in the same breath as the other issues. Actually, to have only replaced that limited number of wear and tear items after the mileage I have done is not bad going. I would not include the clutch/DMF replacement as wear and tear though because on inspection after removal the clutch material was not worn and the issue appeared to be with the pressure plate spring.

I had the front discs and pads replaced at 45k for £400 and now at 71k I've been told my rear pads are on the verge of needing replacing. Not much mileage in my opinion!

magt1000
16-09-2014, 12:05 AM
I had the front discs and pads replaced at 45k for £400 and now at 71k I've been told my rear pads are on the verge of needing replacing. Not much mileage in my opinion!

Type and style of driving will obviously have a big impact. I do lots of motorway miles and try to lift and coast rather than brake to save on fuel.

Was your car over 3 years old when the front discs and pads were replaced? If so, you were overcharged.

Fixed price services < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi (http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html)

markp306
16-09-2014, 08:16 AM

Same here on my avant TDI. Front discs and pads changed at 3 years / 32k.
Audi service team didn't see that as unusual, although I was astounded at the time.

Crazyfool
04-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Hopefully I've resolved my issues with this....

I just had to get rid of the Audi, especially after spending another £1,000 on it in January.